Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing windscreen on insurance...does it make my next policy more expensive?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I need to repair my windscreen through my car insurance policy...the windscreen cover cost me €35 on top of my usual policy price (Third Party F&T)...the windscreen cover is up to €400 (the repair guy said it wouldn't cost more than that)

I am wondering if claiming windscreen repair automatically will drive the cost of my next policy up? Do I lose my no claims bonus? Or are these insurance company specific questions!?

My policy is up next month & I am broke so I am trying to weigh off paying more for my policy next month if I go ahead with this repair.

Comments

I need to repair my windscreen through my car insurance policy...the windscreen cover cost me €35 on top of my usual policy price (Third Party F&T)...the windscreen cover is up to €400 (the repair guy said it wouldn't cost more than that)

I am wondering if claiming windscreen repair automatically will drive the cost of my next policy up? Do I lose my no claims bonus? Or are these insurance company specific questions!?

My policy is up next month & I am broke so I am trying to weigh off paying more for my policy next month if I go ahead with this repair.

Nope, it shouldm't. 99% of the time it won't effect your policy at all as it is a benefit. However if you were have 4-5+ in one year I'd expect they would load your policy.

Call your company but it should not effect your policy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Thanks, I have never used my insurance for anything before & was trying to think how this would ultimately bite me in the ass.
    It is a Mondeo heated windscreen so I know it is not cheap to repair, was weighing off which option would be cheaper in the long run if the claim were to drive my policy cost up.

Thanks, I have never used my insurance for anything before & was trying to think how this would ultimately bite me in the ass.
    It is a Mondeo heated windscreen so I know it is not cheap to repair, was weighing off which option would be cheaper in the long run if the claim were to drive my policy cost up.

It won't drive your policy up anyway.

Call your company and get their windscreen helpline number to get it sorted. If you use your own repairer they might not stand over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

To be sure, why not read your policy booklet / ins cert / endorsements? There may be an excess on glass / windscreen repairs and one of them will give you the name of their repairer of choice.

mathepac wrote: »
    To be sure, why not read your policy booklet / ins cert / endorsements? There may be an excess on glass / windscreen repairs and one of them will give you the name of their repairer of choice.

Yep, this is why it's important to ring the company to get all this extra info. I've had a few clients down the years that have just gone and got it fixed through someone they knew thinking they'd be reimbursed. Not always the case at all most will only pay for using an approved repairer.

• Advertisement

Yep they have a leaflet stating who their windscreen repair people are, I found it in my files, still looking for the policy booklet tho, the info I am looking for is not on my insurance cert. I will call them before I go ahead just to be sure, thanks :)

Thanks for the feedback...I rang the insurance brokers & they said no increase on premium and it will not affect no claims...so I went ahead today & got it repaired, €35 for windscreen cover for the year & I got a new windscreen worth €400+
    Felt really weird just driving in and getting it fixed & driving away, not having to worry about paying anything

Advertisement