Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website mail notifications

Options
  • 19-09-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I setting up a website that requires users to register with the site. I'm also setting up email notifications that will mail users once a month with important information about the site. When someone is signing up an I required to give them the option of receiving mails? Or is it ok just to give them the option in the mails to un-subscribe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Yes, direct marketing email messages may be sent only to subscribers who have given their prior consent ("opt-in"). Prior permission is required for business-to-consumer (B2C) communication covering all "natural persons".

Exceptions:
    A business relationship in which contact information was obtained constitutes prior consent as long as a means to opt out was provided at the same time and continues to be provided with each such message and each message is about similar products or services by the same company.

For business-to-business communication (B2B), i.e. "legal persons", EU member states are free to make "opt-out" the minimum legislation. However, national legislation of the member states can require opt-in for B2B email, too.

Source: http://www.lsoft.com/resources/optinlaws.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

Thanks for that info! Just one question though. It says "marketing emails". The mails I'd be sending are directly related to the reason a user would sign up to the site in the first place. So they won't necessarily be marketing mails but more reminder mails. Would I still be required to give the opt in? Also does it have to be an opt in or could it be an opt out option on the registration page? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

McBauer wrote: »
    Thanks for that info! Just one question though. It says "marketing emails". The mails I'd be sending are directly related to the reason a user would sign up to the site in the first place. So they won't necessarily be marketing mails but more reminder mails. Would I still be required to give the opt in? Also does it have to be an opt in or could it be an opt out option on the registration page? Cheers!

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

McBauer wrote: »
    Anyone know?
    Even if it is a newsletter, it's still marketing your site/service as it is published by it and, most likely, include links to your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thebigb

Hi McBauer, I am looking to build a site that allows users to register, in fact the idea would be that they need to register in order to use the site. Can you tell me what you used to build your site please?

• Advertisement

thebigb wrote: »
    Hi McBauer, I am looking to build a site that allows users to register, in fact the idea would be that they need to register in order to use the site. Can you tell me what you used to build your site please?
    A developer.

Otherwise, you'll have to be more specific about what you mean.

The function I need is where 2 types of registered users can send information back and forth automatically through the site. Do I need to give more detail?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do I need to give more detail?

It depends. If you want more detail back, yes.

The function I need is where 2 types of registered users can send information back and forth automatically through the site. Do I need to give more detail?
    More a case of what you want in terms of advice. When you say what people 'used', I could interpret that as you being a developer who is looking for advice on the business logic you want to apply. Or a 'developer' who's looking to see if there's some free solution out there that can be downloaded and do it for him/her. Or a business person who wants to know where (s)he can get this done and who is needed for it.

As to what you're seeking, your first question seeks a Web site solution that requires that a user logs in (and thus logically needs to register first so they can log in) before they can interact with the site. Your clarification actually makes what you want far less clear; 'sending information back and forth'? So the site is a communication tool or chat site? Then you mention two types of users? Normal and administrators? Or two types in the sense that you have some sort of business process that is being facilitated by the site?

You probably would want to sit down with an IT business analyst and go through exactly what you want at this stage, before you can realistically get a more comprehensive answer. A quick answer here will almost certainly end up sending you down the wrong path.

More a case of what you want in terms of advice. When you say what people 'used', I could interpret that as you being a developer who is looking for advice on the business logic you want to apply. Or a 'developer' who's looking to see if there's some free solution out there that can be downloaded and do it for him/her. Or a business person who wants to know where (s)he can get this done and who is needed for it.

As to what you're seeking, your first question seeks a Web site solution that requires that a user logs in (and thus logically needs to register first so they can log in) before they can interact with the site. Your clarification actually makes what you want far less clear; 'sending information back and forth'? So the site is a communication tool or chat site? Then you mention two types of users? Normal and administrators? Or two types in the sense that you have some sort of business process that is being facilitated by the site?

You probably would want to sit down with an IT business analyst and go through exactly what you want at this stage, before you can realistically get a more comprehensive answer. A quick answer here will almost certainly end up sending you down the wrong path.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really explain myself very well. I have found a thread for people seeking a web developer to work on a project. I will post there and look for someone to work with.

Thanks for your time

• Advertisement
Advertisement