Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever had this happen when shooting a wedding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Obviously the photographer had not spoken with the minister or researched beforehand what he was and wasn't allowed to do. Unfortunate incident though.
    Hasn't happened to me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

"This is not about the photography, this is about God!"

What an absolute scrotum. Registry office all the way boy, none of that aul sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That was the video guy. Everyone, absolutely everyone, hates the video guy except for the couple who hired him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The minister is an absolute bell-end for forcing a confrontation in the middle of the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zillah wrote: »
    The minister is an absolute bell-end for forcing a confrontation in the middle of the ceremony.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's not his first wedding and he's built up that dislike over a while. He could have had them moved at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

The look on the groom's face is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Ouch! Burn....

Couple were mortified I think. He could have said something before hand.....Any wedding Ive been to the priests are fairly sound, almost encouraging pictures and photo bombing where appropriate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I do very very few weddings, but what happened at my last one was so unreal - but as ever my lips are sealed - (nothing like this vid , more crazy life stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

closest i've seen was a wedding where the priest ordered the photographer - who was halfway down the church at the time - to sit down and stop taking photos. the poor chap was a friend of the couple, doing it as a favour, and was being very discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That was the video guy. Everyone, absolutely everyone, hates the video guy except for the couple who hired him.
    Looks to me like the shutter clicks is what annoyed the minister most. Then the photographer is the one who has to ask "do you want me to leave?" after he's already been told a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

thebaz wrote: »
    I do very very few weddings, but what happened at my last one was so unreal - but as ever my lips are sealed - (nothing like this vid , more crazy life stuff

ah, dont tease us .... PM us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the_monkey wrote: »
    ah, dont tease us .... PM us ;)

i'd love to , but didn't even tell my best friend - what happens on the shoot , stays in the shoot - got to keep my integrity ;-)

Ouch! Burn....

Couple were mortified I think. He could have said something before hand.....Any wedding Ive been to the priests are fairly sound, almost encouraging pictures and photo bombing where appropriate :)
    Usually the priests are so used to dealing with photographers that they make a point to speak to them beforehand. I would assume this guy?? (he's probably not a real honest to god Catholic priest) just wanted to make a public point and used the shame of doing it mid wedding to put added pressure on photographers.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I was assisting a photographer in Feb this year at a wedding - apprenticing if you like!
    Anyway this happened, the priest kept telling him to stop taking photos. He didn't do it in the same way as in the video, like when the choir were singing he went over and told him to stop taking photos during the ceremony.

When we got to the bride's house that morning they had warned us that the priest was a bit awkward, and if he said anything to us to just ignore him (not be rude obv)

So all he could do was be as discreet as he could. I asked him afterwards how he felt when the priest said that to him and he said at the end of the day, the couple are HIS clients and he's paid to do a job - so he does it the best he can without upsetting anyone. In fairness he stayed out of the way, took what he needed and got a great job done.

I was horrified at the thought of it! But delighted I saw it happen in case it ever happens to me and now I know how to handle it :)

genie_us wrote: »
    I asked him afterwards how he felt when the priest said that to him and he said at the end of the day, the couple are HIS clients and he's paid to do a job - so he does it the best he can without upsetting anyone. In fairness he stayed out of the way, took what he needed and got a great job done.
    That's often overlooked. Priest do put a fair amount of work into a wedding in fairness to them, and they do take it seriously.

With modern digital cameras the only thing being intrusive is the photographer walking all over the place taking photos all the time (I've seen that at plenty of weddings) and the flash. Continuous lighting could fix the flash problem.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would assume this guy?? (he's probably not a real honest to god Catholic priest) just wanted to make a public point and used the shame of doing it mid wedding to put added pressure on photographers.
    What's the point about him not being a Catholic priest got to do with anything? I've been to weddings where catholic priests have been far more insulting to guests than this.

Effects wrote: »
    What's the point about him not being a Catholic priest got to do with anything? I've been to weddings where catholic priests have been far more insulting to guests than this.
    Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

I always ask the couple to ensure the celebrant is ok with all pictures being taken or does he have any restrictions. Some will not allow flash, some will not allow you on to the altar, some ask for the number of pictures to be kept to a minimum, but I'd rather know all this beforehand and be prepared for it. I will always try introduce myself and have a discreet word with celebrant before service which generally puts them at ease somewhat too. Only once did a priest announce to everyone that " the photographer might like to pause for a minute while we pray " which was ok-ish although I was a little embarrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I had a priest thank me at the end of a ceremony once and gve me a blessing .. not on a one to one level, but over the microphone to the whole congregation .. same priest then pulled out a DSLR and started snapping the wedding party during the formals!! we did have a bit of push and shove with each other to get the best shot .. great craic, an absolute gentleman!

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I had a priest thank me at the end of a ceremony once and gve me a blessing .. not on a one to one level, but over the microphone to the whole congregation .. same priest then pulled out a DSLR and started snapping the wedding party during the formals!! we did have a bit of push and shove with each other to get the best shot .. great craic, an absolute gentleman!
    That would be a good sideline for the priest alright, "complete wedding package", you didn't see him in the kitchen later on did you? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

He sends photos from weddings and christeninngs into the local paper.. I always wondered who did the photos when I saw them in the paper.

Last wedding I did I had heard that the priest was a bit difficult, so I went and introduced myself to him straight away .. was surprised to see he was quite young .. I asked him was there any restrictions or anywhere he didn't want me to go .. he said I could go anywhere I wanted .. but not to get into his line of sight with the Bride and Groom .. which was fair enough .. have never had any problems with them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

99% I have met are sound, you have to realise there is a lot of pressure on the Priest to carry off the ceremony perfectly so if you introduce yourself and explain that you both have a job to do then it goes well

Borderfox wrote: »
    there is a lot of pressure on the Priest to carry off the ceremony perfectly
    Is it not pretty much the same thing he's done loads of times before with just different names to read out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

typical yank..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Effects wrote: »
    Is it not pretty much the same thing he's done loads of times before with just different names to read out?

You got to give respect to get respect and that statement of yours doesnt show any

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Borderfox wrote: »
    You got to give respect to get respect and that statement of yours doesnt show any

Indeed, surely a photographer is just snapping the same photos with different people given that logic!

M5 wrote: »
    Indeed, surely a photographer is just snapping the same photos with different people given that logic!
    Yeah, quite a lot of wedding photography does seem like that.

At my cousin's wedding (West Cork) the priest didn't allow any photographs. The couple (and photographer) only found out at the church, so this doesn't massively surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I always though photos were taken outside after the ceremony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement