Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the definition of 'loss' in property insurance?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I'm looking to claim on my house insurance for a lost but specified policy item. The item has been misplaced in the house and I can now say that it won't be found after 2 months searching. The policy stated that the loss or damage must be reported to gardai within 24 hours of discovering it. I've reported the loss to the gardai and insurance company after the massive searching, but the insurance company says it won't compensate since the loss wasn't reported when first noticed missing 2 months ago.

My question is what is the specific insurance industry definition of loss (google wasn't a help), or is there one? Is there a legal definition of 'loss' and 'lost'? Is the item 'lost' after making a full and thorough search thus knowing it won't be found, or is it 'lost' after first noticing that it wasn't where I left it?

Has anyone else had to go through similar hoops?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Was there a definition in your policy wording? I'd start there.

You could argue that tomorrow would be 24 hours after the loss if you looked for it for 2 months and realised today that it was TRULY lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 orion256

Hi peteb2,

there's no glossary of terms or list of definitions covering the definition of loss in the policy, or on the insurer's website. You hit on the argument I would be making, that I could only know it was truly lost after the search.

The policy wording used is that a report should be made within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss or damage -- so my argument would be it was misplaced with the hopes of finding it in a known space (the house) and only known as truly lost after the search. Walking a fine line, but a costly one.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Orion, you need to be a bit more pushy with your insurer. It's quite common for insurers to follow this line at first.
    Follow their complaints procedure if necessary.

LostArt wrote: »
    Orion, you need to be a bit more pushy with your insurer. It's quite common for insurers to follow this line at first.
    Follow their complaints procedure if necessary.

+1

I'd say you'll get it out of them yet as it is a genuine claim...

Thanks LostArt and KaG. We're preparing a good pushy letter for them and will keep at it all the way.

• Advertisement

orion256 wrote: »
    Thanks LostArt and KaG. We're preparing a good pushy letter for them and will keep at it all the way.

Did you go through a broker or direct?

It was direct.

orion256 wrote: »
    It was direct.

Grand I was going to suggest asking your broker to help out.

Send the letter in as a complaint outlying your concerns that it was only recently that you could confirm that the item was actually lost/stolen. If you knew it was stolen it's a different story and you'd have to report it to the Gardai to make a valid claim. I'd point out that if every person was to call when they thought they had lost/misplaced an item initially that they'd need to double the amount of people needed in their claim call centres.

Grand I was going to suggest asking your broker to help out.

Send the letter in as a complaint outlying your concerns that it was only recently that you could confirm that the item was actually lost/stolen. If you knew it was stolen it's a different story and you'd have to report it to the Gardai to make a valid claim. I'd point out that if every person was to call when they thought they had lost/misplaced an item initially that they'd need to double the amount of people needed in their claim call centres.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It is usually described as 'on discovery of an incident which may give rise to a claim'. For this incident, you shouldn't restrict yourself to looking at the Cover section of the policy, you need to examine the Claims Procedure section, as that will define the timeframe to make a claim

• Advertisement
Advertisement