Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin football Expert- Fergus Connolly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jesus, I hate when journalists start comparing soccer with Gaelic Football as if they were one and the same sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

just read article in the irish examiner . who is this guy fergus connolly

says sports scientist who worked with 49ers

further searches online show he has worked with liverpool ,wales rugby , bolton , munster and bernard dunne .

any body have any other insight into this guy

http://examiner.ie/sport/columnists/paddy-heaney/paddy-heaney-for-dubs-boss-gavin-the-game-is-about-glory-243581.html

Strange article.

"Yet, if Dublin were managed by more pragmatic individuals such as Jim McGuinness or Mickey Harte, they would be raging hot favourites. "

Really? Vs a team that apart from a ropey 20 mins v Tyrone has destroyed all round them and annihilated last years champions.
    Gilroy was as pragmatic as it gets and they werent raging hot favourites in 2011.

"To win an All-Ireland title, all teams must have two top class scoring forwards. In Bernard Brogan and Paul Mannion, Dublin can tick those boxes. "

Mannion? seriously? based on what. He may well become one, but hardly yet. Didn't contribute much v Kerry apart from punched goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mightymonster

can anyone shine a light on fergus connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

can anyone shine a light on fergus connolly

World class sports scientist from Monaghan who has worked with some of the top teams and individuals in a number of different sporting codes all around the planet.
    With regards GAA,he has worked with top IC players individually such as the Bradley brothers,Kevin McCloy of Derry etc and he has also done consultation work with counties such as Cavan and Monaghan(coaching the coaches etc).
    He is extremely highly rated by everyone i've spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

robbiezero wrote: »
    Vs a team that apart from a ropey 20 mins v Tyrone has destroyed all round them and annihilated last years champions.

apart from that 20 minutes, Mayo have not been tested this year. that Donegal team came into that 1/4 final, having scored only 7 points against Monaghan 2 weeks before that, 7 f*cking points.

add in Roscommon, London and a galway team that was in early summer dissaray (only beat a team who were beaten by 27 points by Kerry, by 1 point themselves) and you can easily see Why Mayo have "destroyed all round them". Tyrone are a team who were beaten by 12 points in last years championship.

Dublin have beaten much better teams this year or more to the point, been given much bigger tests in Meath (similar to Tyrone game), Cork and Kerry and they hammered Kildare and Westmeath, better teams than London and roscommon IMO.

Dublins form is much more impressive i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

apart from that 20 minutes, Mayo have not been tested this year. that Donegal team came into that 1/4 final, having scored only 7 points against Monaghan 2 weeks before that, 7 f*cking points.

add in Roscommon, London and a galway team that was in early summer dissaray (only beat a team who were beaten by 27 points by Kerry, by 1 point themselves) and you can easily see Why Mayo have "destroyed all round them". Tyrone are a team who were beaten by 12 points in last years championship.

Dublin have beaten much better teams this year or more to the point, been given much bigger tests in Meath (similar to Tyrone game), Cork and Kerry and they hammered Kildare and Westmeath, better teams than London and roscommon IMO.

Dublins form is much more impressive i think

I can't see how it is much more impressive. Sure they have beaten better teams than Mayo have, but it's hard to see how Mayo could have done any more than they have to this point.

The bookies are at evens Dublin, 11/10 Mayo and I think that is about right. It is a 50-50 game for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's about right I think. It does not take from Mayo, their opposition up to now has been poor apart from Tyrone(a back door team) It's clear that to analyse Mayo you need to look at their steady improvement over 2 to 3 years.

They are a team built to beat a 2012 Donegal. I believe that they would do that now, last year was Donegal's but Mayo are back in a final looking remarkably better than last year IMHO.

This whole analysis of the opposition Mayo have played is being taken by some as an attempt to make them look over hyped, but sadly from a Dublin perspective I think we need to look beyond that.

Doesn't mean it's not true though.
    London in a provincial final is a great one for building up the stats, Donegal and Tyrone were both backdoor teams already beaten by other teams in the Championship this year.

Advertisement