Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 Cylinder Misfire

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi lads,

Need a bit of technical car help. Brother recently gave me his car to sell (Audi A3 1.6 petrol 2004) and asked me to fix it up. Cut things short two of the cylinders are misfiring, Audi garage want to change fuel injectors with a cost for the part being €400 :eek: trying to think of other parts that might be causing the problem that are cheaper. My other brother done a diagnostics check and said try replacing the plugs might stop the chugging. I'm thinking the ignition coils?? Any mechanics any ideas?

Cheers,
    Lorr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

A diagnostic scan should tell you which cylinders are misfiring.

Check plugs.
    Coil packs
    HT leads

Not sure of the exact set up on the 1.6 A3 are the individual coil packs or one main one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Is it a 1.6 FSI or a normal 1.6 8v?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lori88

Cylinders #1 and #2 misfiring.

Changing the plugs today but they were also changed 5 months ago, it's a normal 1.6 8V. Think it's individual coils for the A3 going to get under the hood later and take a closer look before I start ordering parts. I did notice a clicking noise coming from the engine, for all the world it sounds like the clicking as if your turning on a gas cooker if that makes any sense!

HT leads? Can you explain a bit more about this?

Thanks for your help lads...why my brother gave this job to his little sister I will never know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That clicking is most likely a spark jumping where it shouldn't be. If you start the engine in the dark you will probably see it.

Leads and coil are both common problems on those 1.6 8v engines. They are also quite awkward to access unfortunately.

Would the fact that the spark plug is jumping be causing it to be chugging while driving?

Going to try the plugs today and if that don't help next step new coils? Would that be the best option before splashing out €400 on injectors as the last resort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,071 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lori88 wrote: »
    Would the fact that the spark plug is jumping be causing it to be chugging while driving?

Going to try the plugs today and if that don't help next step new coils? Would that be the best option before splashing out €400 on injectors as the last resort!
    What George said is the spark (not the spark plug) might be jumping (i.e. shorting to earth) before it gets to the spark plug. The current for the spark travels from the HT (high tension) coil via the HT lead to the spark plug.

Do what George said re starting the car in the dark. Open the bonnet, start the car and take a look in the engine compartment. You might see the spark shorting then (if it is happening). You might have to remove the engine cover first though.

Don't replace the injectors without a second opinion from a competent mechanic with diagnostic equipment.

Not your ornery onager

Mechanic said it could be the HT leads so going to try that first. Thanks

Advertisement