Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating downstairs- powerflush?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I have a ferrolli sys 23 boiler heating 3 rads on a downstairs zone and 3 rads and two underfloor bathrooms on the upstairs circuit. There is no heat going to the downstairs rads when the stat is turned on. The upstairs circuit works fine. I doubt it's the motorised valve as it turns fine and there is heat on both sides of the pipe. I turned off the upstairs circuit and the hot water tank and turned the boiler up to the last and the pipes leading to two of the rads downstairs got very hot but the rads only got Luke warm at best. I guess the pipe is blocked somewhere. Would a powerflush sort this out and is it worth hiring the equipment and doing it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I have a ferrolli sys 23 boiler heating 3 rads on a downstairs zone and 3 rads and two underfloor bathrooms on the upstairs circuit. There is no heat going to the downstairs rads when the stat is turned on. The upstairs circuit works fine. I doubt it's the motorised valve as it turns fine and there is heat on both sides of the pipe. I turned off the upstairs circuit and the hot water tank and turned the boiler up to the last and the pipes leading to two of the rads downstairs got very hot but the rads only got Luke warm at best. I guess the pipe is blocked somewhere. Would a powerflush sort this out and is it worth hiring the equipment and doing it myself?

Have you tried one rad at a time? TURN OFF all rads and the coil to the cylinder. Turn on the rad furtherest away from the boiler and see if you can get heat, check for air. If you vent off air remember to top up pressure.
    If you get heat to the rad, repeat with the other two rads.
    You may just have an bad air lock.
    Also make sure the return rad valves are open full.

If this does not work you may need to take the head off the motorised valve and open manually to be sure, the motor may be turning but failing to open the valve if anything has broke inside the motor.

Advertisement