Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milano Blanchardstown...

Options
  • 19-09-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Went to the new Milano in blanch ladt night
    Sat down and looked at the menu

6 quid for cheapest starter
    13 for cheapest pizza
    660ml bottle fo Peroni is a 9.95
    6.95 for a glass of wine
    and 3.55 for a coke

We left shortly thereafter...

What a ripoff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Keyzer wrote: »

13 for cheapest pizza
    6.95 for a glass of wine
    and 3.55 for a coke

What a ripoff.

Fair dues for walking out... I would have done the same.

normally people come on here and have complained after they ate at a place and have paid the bill in full :)

Can't get over the price of the bottle of peroni, are you sure that price was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

few slight errors by the OP

The cheapest starter is dough balls at 4.20

But by and large VERY expensive

http://www.milano.ie/pdfs/files/Milano_Menu_April_2013_20130429-164134.pdf

But doesn't Milanos do a lot of coupons/offers etc .... ?

Ill be honest at those prices I wouldn't go there

Milanos is the Irish name for Pizza Express isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

In fairness, paying a fiver for a 330ml beer would be quite common in a restaurant.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Most people who eat in any Milano go there with vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there was a thread a while ago about milanos where they paid €4.95 and got 7 chips. Now I do consider that a genuine ripoff, as it was paid with expectation of normal amount. If it was €100 for a reasonable size portion of chips I would not call it a ripoff though -as they paid & got what they expect, i.e. its just expensive but no scamming or trickery was going on.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056986166
    kenon wrote: »
    In fairness, paying a fiver for a 330ml beer would be quite common in a restaurant.
    It is common to see places attempt to charge ridiculous prices for longnecks alright, I wouldn't like to see these ludicrous prices just multiplied up linearly when I buy a larger volume though. I had a thread about it before.

The 9.95 for a 660ml bottle is €8.56 per pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

13 for cheapest pizza
    6.95 for a glass of wine
    and 3.55 for a coke

What a ripoff.

The prices aren't really that bad

A medium take-away pizza from Dominos would usually cost around €16

A 330ml bottle in beer in a bar would usually be around €5

The Coke is a 330ml bottle, a 180ml bottle would be around €2.85 in a pub

I think the food is really nice

As other posters have said, they do a lot of vouchers etc., at the moment you can a second main course for €3 with the purchase of any full-price main course

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

13 for cheapest pizza
    6.95 for a glass of wine
    and 3.55 for a coke

What a ripoff.

they accepting Tesco clubcard vouchers.
    10 euro in vouchers gives you x4 = 40 Eur to pay you bill.
    I think it's a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jahalpin wrote: »
    The prices aren't really that bad

A medium take-away pizza from Dominos would usually cost around €16

A 330ml bottle in beer in a bar would usually be around €5

The Coke is a 330ml bottle, a 180ml bottle would be around €2.85 in a pub
    I think all the prices you listed are horrendous though. So you are just comparing crazy expensive with crazy expensive.

These prices have been around so long its like the emperors new clothes, some people just shrug their shoulders and accept it and pay it, instead of questioning why these are such ludicrous prices and buy cheaper things instead.

You would want to see what I could get in most of the chippers near me for €16.

I was in the local chinese restaurant near me and as 2 of us ordered cokes they offered a 2L bottle for the table as an option, I think they were going to keep it in the fridge and refill as requested, so you don't have a big bottle sitting on the table (if that bothered you).

The tesco deal seems good, years back you used to get way better deals, one day they were giving back 50% on cds/dvds. So if you spent €20 on cds you got €10 in vouchers which could become €40 in milanos.

quite a few now, http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/deals/restaurants.aspx
    some have exemptions, mostly reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Eating out in this country, on the whole, is a bloody rip off. Find some good locals and support them is the only thing I can recommend.

I've never understood why we font have the big chains like Harvester et al. Okay I know they're not great but they are cheap, family friendly, and you go home full.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Because the cost of living is so much higher. Also I don't know the last time you ate out in the UK, but it's become a hell of a lot more expensive in recent years over there.

• Advertisement

Because the cost of living is so much higher. Also I don't know the last time you ate out in the UK, but it's become a hell of a lot more expensive in recent years over there.

Every time I go home I feel minted, everything seems cheaper. It's not a huge difference between like for like but we just seem to be missing a type of restaurant; the Pizza Hut*/Harvester/Hungry Horse type effort that falls somewhere between Fast Food and an 'proper' restaurant. There's also a lot dross here charging silly money but I think thats a function of being a tourist City to be fair.

*I know we have a couple of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bepolite wrote: »
    Every time I go home I feel minted, everything seems cheaper. It's not a huge difference between like for like but we just seem to be missing a type of restaurant; the Pizza Hut*/Harvester/Hungry Horse type effort that falls somewhere between Fast Food and an 'proper' restaurant. There's also a lot dross here charging silly money but I think thats a function of being a tourist City to be fair.

*I know we have a couple of these.

Totally agree, you can get great value when you travel back to Ireland.

On the continent especially in the capital cities or business cities you get royally ripped off.

Milanos was always a rip off for what you were getting though.

Totally agree, you can get great value when you travel back to Ireland.

On the continent especially in the capital cities or business cities you get royally ripped off.

Milanos was always a rip off for what you were getting though.

I should clarify home for me is the UK sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bepolite wrote: »
    I should clarify home for me is the UK sorry!

Kinda guessed that from the food chains your mentioned ;)

But in general when I go back to Ireland stuff costs a good bit less, clothes especially :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

A quick check of Pizza Express menu (http://www.pizzaexpress.com/uploads/menu/pizzaexpress_mnu.pdf) for London restaurants - Doughballs are £3.50 -Just over €4.14 at today's exchange rate. Cheapest pizza (A legerra) -£8.75 which is working out just over €10.

In saying that, the London restaurants are in some central locations ,so don't really compare with Blanch.

660ml Peroni is £6.10 - just under €7.70. So you're getting royally screwed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Milanos unless you have the discount tokens are a total rip off for what you get, they dont even come into the equation if I dont have the tokens... I was in the one in grand canal dock a few months ago and appalled at the value!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to say I don't feel Ireland is all that expensive when it comes to food. We have a wealth of cafes and restaurants with varying amounts of cuisine and prices to suit everyone.
    Usually in work for lunch we do one of the three B's- burrito, burger or Bolands (sandwich bar near Dawson street). I'm on a mission to increase my knowledge of the eateries in the city centre and we'll be trying all sorts of new places. The other day I was brought to a small restaurant that did a 2 course lunch for €10.95- which is superb value for a freshly cooked meal.

There's tremendous value out there- you just did to avoid some of the obvious places and go looking for the not so obvious.

Advertisement