Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house and Decking

Options
  • 19-09-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

We just bought a new house and the back garden is mostly decking. It looks like it needs some TLC but this is the first time I've had a proper garden of my own and would love some advice on where to start.

Is it too late in the year to treat the decking? The weekend looks to be clear and I'd like to get on it then if I can.

Will a hard bristled broom/scrubbing brush do for cleaning? Soapy water or some special (read expensive) cleaning product?

Any recommendation as to treatments/sealants?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

i done a decking about a month ago, pressure washed it then gave it 2 coats of ronseal decking oil (got it in woodies) decking looking brand new now. If you go into woodies they have a colour card and an explanation of the different oil and stains to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

+1 on the power washer, dont bother messing about with scrubbing bruses.
    Go to your local hardware and rent a petrol one, bout 20e for half a day.

[IMG][/img]9938444314_9d09df8dc2.jpg
    IMG_0476 by comaher, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks folks - I was actually able to borrow a power washer from a friend. Made the whole process much easier.

Advertisement