Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Inns Modular Degree Course

Options
  • 19-09-2013 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I've recently been accepted on the Kings Inns modular course and like most on the course I'll be working full time, Monday to Friday 9-5.

It would be fantastic to get some insights from anyone who has done the same! Any advice is welcome! How did anyone find it going in at the weekend after work all week? How tiring was it?Would you recommend it? Or any study tips?

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

For quick and dirty advice on this very topic a search may yeild some good results. I'm not suggesting that it's not worth doing again but just if you wanted so good responces from over the years.

And, of course, Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 npbo127

I did a search but didn't find anything overly useful. Apparently the modular course was only introduced around 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

It's a very hard weekend after a working week, but at least it's not every weekend. No need for study tips - you just have to get through all the work, and it's not 'study' in the same way as the diploma or a law degree are, it's much more practically-based.

Tutors are for the most part excellent as are the course materials. You'll learn to think on your feet pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

npbo127 wrote: »

I did a search but didn't find anything overly useful. Apparently the modular course was only introduced around 2008.

While the modular course was only introduced recently, any barrister qualifying upto the early 2000's could only do a two year part time course. While the same length as the modular course, 2 years it was lectures every evening 4:30 to 6:30 with tutorials after. So in fact most barristers went through a part time course.

Many who qualified under the old system did so working full time then straight to lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

infosys wrote: »
    Many who qualified under the old system did so working full time then straight to lectures.

From what I hear of the old course it wasn't perhaps quite as demanding as the more vocational one currently running; plenty of amusing stories about the old Irish exam as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Speaking as someone who started Mod1 last year and is currently panicking about starting Mod2 next weekend, my advice would be to make use of your free months next summer!!

It is tiring going in after a week of work, moreso when you have a couple of weekends in a row. Get the reading done in advance of class in as much as you can, makes the classes much more beneficial to you.

There's no exams in the first year - just mock exams one week in March, which are a rude awakening as to what they're looking for. Biggest tip for these - FOLLOW THE SKILLS GUIDES!!

And whatever you do try your absolute best to not fall below the 90% attendance requirement. There's a huge amount of work to be done if you have to try to catch up.

Congratulations!!

Advertisement