Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help; Licence for Van/Lorry

Options
  • 18-09-2013 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hi so im thinking of a career change and have been offered a spot driving next year if i get a licence for a truck. I am also interested in getting a licence for a van. Are these the same licence category? Also can someone outline the process for me. Can you get the licence for the van first and then get the truck or whats why does it work.

I currently hold a full licence for a car.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

A van like a small box van, Transit or Merc Sprinter which is one of the longest if not longest van can be driven on car licence.

If it's a truck you will need to do Theory test then apply for learner permit then apply for lessons and then test also you will have to do CPC to drive for pay which is a 1 day course once every year. Oh and then obviously do your test before you can drive.

CPC not needed if truck is never to be carrying goods so lets say you were a enthusiast of trucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

A van like a small box van, Transit or Merc Sprinter which is one of the longest if not longest van can be driven on car licence.

If it's a truck you will need to do Theory test then apply for learner permit then apply for lessons and then test also you will have to do CPC to drive for pay which is a 1 day course once every year. Oh and then obviously do your test before you can drive.

CPC not needed if truck is never to be carrying goods so lets say you were a enthusiast of trucks.

Oh! i had no idea the car licence already covers vans thats awesome :D

Now truck is a different story then so theory test, learner permit , lessons and test. great. But so i have to so the CPC lessons ? Like could i just get the licence on its own and then if i do get the job do the CPC lessons to be allowed transfer goods and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Oh! i had no idea the car licence already covers vans thats awesome :D

Now truck is a different story then so theory test, learner permit , lessons and test. great. But so i have to so the CPC lessons ? Like could i just get the licence on its own and then if i do get the job do the CPC lessons to be allowed transfer goods and the like?

If it's what you want to do whether you get that job or not you will need it before you can carry goods it's the same application for coaches and buses.

You can drive it but not for carrying goods or for pay.

You can drive a van up to the transit type you may have seen with what looks like a big box on the back which usually has a tail lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

From what I know about the CPC modules/tests you must complete them in order to gain the C category licence,People like paramedics/DFB etc are exempt from having to do either the CPC tests/modules in order to get a truck/bus licence.
    As for work driving first of all the money being paid is absolute crap for the responsibility that you may have,Secondly most companies will not take a driver on without experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Hi so im thinking of a career change and have been offered a spot driving next year if i get a licence for a truck. I am also interested in getting a licence for a van. Are these the same licence category? Also can someone outline the process for me. Can you get the licence for the van first and then get the truck or whats why does it work.

I currently hold a full licence for a car.

Thanks

1st your car (Cat B) covers you up to 3.5 ton gross (fully laden) most single rear wheel vans
    Your truck ( cat C) requires theory test , medical, eye test.
    Initial Cpc is required if driving for Hire and Reward
    This is not the Modules but
    2 theory tests and a practical with RSA

• Advertisement
Advertisement