Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yahoo - what a farce

Options
  • 18-09-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

It seems that a lot of people are very very disappointed that Yahoo have just gone ahead with a major format change both in their email and groups websites without warning, request or the option to opt out.

I'm finding the new versions almost unusable. Particularly the email box. I have been on yahoo.co.uk for about 14 years and I'm seriously considering changing everything to a new service. The page layout looks like it's been devised by somebody who has never used a computer to read email Not sure if this is supposed to reflect the growing amount of people viewing mail through mobile phones or if it is just absolute incompetence. It just doesn't work properly whereas the format it replaced over this month almost did and for me the format they moved away from over the last couple of years was more satisfactory still .

But this new thing just looks like they've seen something working elsewhere, not fully understood the process and simply forced it on their customers. They seem to have introduced infinite scroll without thinking how the users want their mailboxes organised and giving no option to opt out back to having pages with a fixed amount of messages on each.
    In fact this lack of option to opt out of the new format is one of the more contentious things here.
    Apparently the company has been sending out messages like this
    "Yahoo is continually developing and testing new product concepts in an effort to offer the most delightful experiences for our users. We randomly expose test pages to a fraction of our users, and your account has been included in a test group."
    which I think really sucks. So somebody does think it is prudent to run a guinea-pig programme like this without warning, request or above all the option to opt out. I've seen a lot of people threatening to leave this service over the last few days. Presumably at least some of them will have done so by now.

It looks like nobody is very happy with the new format and there are pages and pages of complaints about it on the firm's feedback page.
    Anybody else have any feelings about this?

Comments

Advertisement