Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops And PS3 Infected?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Looking for some help on what to do here...

Two days ago I tried to open some word and excel documents and was unable. The icons for both files were orange! Thought this may have been because of some update gone wrong so i did a system restore (going back about a week). This seemed to do the trick. Later i noticed the same on another laptop. Now I've noticed that my PS3 has suddenly stopped reading discs! I'm thinking I may a virus that has spread across my home network!?! Could it even be a hacker?

Any thoughts/Suggestions and whats going on and what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 defomaybe

Also another few days before that all desktop icons appeared small when I turned on my laptop and I needed to resize them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

On the point of the orange icons for word docs and excel files i got the same thing about a week ago. Basically right clicked the file, went to open with and selected word again as the default program. Did the trick,.

Word doesnt come up as an option just microsoft office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Saw this recently on a Samsung Netbook. Are you using Office 2010 Starter which came free with the laptop ? The icons going orange seems to mean your subscription is lapsed. Clicking the icon will eventually bring up a window requesting you to renew your subscription.

From what I can see (I'm not an expert on MS Office products) this version is not actually on the hard disk but is a cloud based version - could be completely wrong here of course but couldn't find a Word executable anywhere and all documents open with "Microsoft Office" rather than Word or Excel etc.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could enlighten ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whatever the issue is it is completely unrelated to the playstation issue.....

• Advertisement

Yeah relized that was a bit stupid thinking both problems were related. The problem with word and excel just kinda resolved itself in the end. The system restore may have worked after restarting i'm not sure. The version was Office 2010 starter btw Zener.

I'm guessing the ps3 problem has something to do with the lens. May try and clean it.

Advertisement