Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milky Way

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted before but would anyone in here have an idea if the Milky Way is visible from up around the Sally Gay area? I wanted to get a good shot of it and was thinking the light pollution shouldn't be too bad up there! Any info would be appreciated on good spots to see it etc - I have little knowledge of the subject.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Hello Paul,

I've seen the Milky Way from Trooperstown Wood just outside Laragh.
    As the Sally Gap is closer to Dublin the light pollution would be worse.

The Car-Park at the sugarloaf might be a good place to judge the quality of the sky as it's roughly the same distance as the Sally Gap.

The Dublin stargazers meet there (and in trooperstown) on a regular basis over the winter. The next meeting is on the 27th at the Sugarloaf if you don't fancy going by yourself.

Regards,

Michael..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Cheers for the reply Michael and also the link I will check it out.

Good to know there is a group that meets there over the winter.

Would it be possible to get a good decent shot of it from there? Would a dslr capture it?

Thanks,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Cheers for the reply Michael and also the link I will check it out.

Good to know there is a group that meets there over the winter.

Would it be possible to get a good decent shot of it from there? Would a dslr capture it?

Thanks,

Paul

you should be able to capture it easy on moonles night.Here is a shot done in Sugar Loaf from one of the members here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/9676178884/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    Desktop material.....and it was done with DSLR.
    I presume Sally gap would be the same regarding light pollution.Make sure to bring wide enough and "fast" lens and away you go :)

Nerro wrote: »
    you should be able to capture it easy on moonles night.Here is a shot done in Sugar Loaf from one of the members here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/9676178884/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    Desktop material.....and it was done with DSLR.
    I presume Sally gap would be the same regarding light pollution.Make sure to bring wide enough and "fast" lens and away you go :)

Wow very nice indeed. I have a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 so that should do the job.

Is that just the one exposure do you know or is it stacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Wow very nice indeed. I have a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 so that should do the job.

Is that just the one exposure do you know or is it stacked?

It says:
    3 image vertical panoramic
    Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm F4
    ISO 3200 @ 30"

• Advertisement

Nerro wrote: »
    It says:
    3 image vertical panoramic
    Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm F4
    ISO 3200 @ 30"

Thanks I didn't see that. Actually just looking at the name of that guy who took the pic, his brother used to work with me. Great photo

Advertisement