Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistant moderation on PI

Options
  • 18-09-2013 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

So I post the following in a thread on PI.

The OP had been advised by some to play hard-ball with the husband, and by pointing out the experience that I've come across in such situations, that are more commonplace when the genders are reversed, that doing so would be a bad idea. I would have happily cited examples without reversed genders, if I actually had any, is the bottom line.

That was it; nothing more and certainly no polemic on gender rights or anything else - if anything it was more about the institution of marriage.

A few posts later, another poster responds to my post. This post is, to begin with, nothing to do with the OP's issue, nor does it even pretend to give the OP advice or otherwise help them. On top of which it's little more than an ad hominem attack, with ironically, it's own agenda.

This second post is clearly in breach of accepted behaviour on boards, in that it was an ad hominem attack. It was also OT, and were I to respond to it, defending myself I suspect that not only would it drag the thread further OT, but that the moderators would act at that point, against me. It further breaches the the forum charter on "petty differences with other boards members" - if the second poster had an issue with my post, they should have reported it, not responded; this is repeatedly advised by the moderators on PI.

As such, I reported the post. This report was viewed and no action. I reported it a second time to see if there could be any clarification from the moderators forthcoming. This time I was told that:

<edited>

So the facts are these:
    • A post is made which breaches a number of forum rules.
    • The post is reported.
    • The moderators take no action, and eventually justify their actions by redefining effectively throwing the rulebook out the window.
    So, I am reporting here an inconsistency in moderation created by moderator bias. Whatever history I may have with the forum should be considered irrelevant, because we're discussing policy of how individual posts are moderated, not because they are directed any any perceived trouble maker.

The poster broke the rules, the moderators have decided to redefine the rules (just for them) - they may agree with the sentiments of the abusive post, but it doesn't change the fact that this post broke the rules, and the moderators are here to uphold those, not their personal opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've removed the section where you've quoted a private exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Spear wrote: »
    I've removed the section where you've quoted a private exchange.
    I was not aware that was meant to be private, apologies.

Suffice it to say, the response effectively admitted that the rules were broken technically, on one point, yet somehow were considered allowed (for undefined and arguable reasons) and there was a denial of any direct personal attack, which was clearly false, given that the poster in question made direct and personal accusations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Closing this as we're engaged with the OP in some correspondence relating to this forum, which we're hoping will bring about a resolution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement