Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Dublin All Ireland Football Final

Options
  • 18-09-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I though I would keep this out of the Irish Pubs thread. Where would be a good laugh to bring my gf (not Irish) to watch this in London?

I was thinking Waxy O'Connors in Chinatown, although this is based on them selling Tayto Cheese & Onion crisps (the one good habit she picked up while living in Ireland) :o

Any other recommendations? I guess a lot of the o'Neils pubs will play it too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Watched it in the 12 Pins last year in Finsbury Park. Great atmosphere as it was half-and-half between Mayo and Donegal. Will probably watch it on the Sheephaven this year. Bear in mind it clashes with the Manchester derby this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chops80

I watched the hurling final in the Corrib rest in Queens Park, good craic ,good atmosphere and a load of screens. I do live 10 mins from there so its handy, but if your in that area it may be worth sticking your head in. I can 100% confirm they have Tayto cheese and onion in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The problem with the Tayto over here is that it's usually Nordie Tayto which is vastly inferior!
    Do any of these places do the REAL Tayto!?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chops80

I didnt know there was a difference. Tasted the real deal to me. I will investigate further Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

enda1 wrote: »
    The problem with the Tayto over here is that it's usually Nordie Tayto which is vastly inferior!
    Do any of these places do the REAL Tayto!?

Crap, I didn't realise.

The Waxy O'Connors Tayto's were great the last time I had them, and the package was advertising Tayto park (WTF :confused:), so I assume the are authentic!

• Advertisement

They've different packaging. Waxy's and Corrib Rest do 'real' Tayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

waxy o connors is rubbish if you ask me for watching games, no atmosphere at all for all Ireland semi final in hurling

waxy o connors is rubbish if you ask me for watching games, no atmosphere at all for all Ireland semi final in hurling

So O'Neill's next door? It was packed when Ireland won the grand slam a few years ago. I live outside London, so tend not to watch matches too often in the city.

harney wrote: »
    So O'Neill's next door? It was packed when Ireland won the grand slam a few years ago. I live outside London, so tend not to watch matches too often in the city.

Does it have to be the centre of town? You'd do much better going to any of the recommended places a bit further out. Better atmosphere and less idiots

Does it have to be the centre of town? You'd do much better going to any of the recommended places a bit further out. Better atmosphere and less idiots

The centre suits me better, but the other places will go on the list to visit at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Waxy's was totally jammed on Sunday with extra screens and tons of bar staff (plenty of Tayto too !) rounded off with a trad band and a massive Hooley after the match.....my poor head ! And I was there as a neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Watched it in The Full Back up by Finsbury Park. Great place to watch a match. Felt for the barstaff when they changed the channels over from the Arsenal match with 20 minutes to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I watched it in my local.....feeling pretty grim ;-( .....still...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Watched it in The Full Back up by Finsbury Park. Great place to watch a match. Felt for the barstaff when they changed the channels over from the Arsenal match with 20 minutes to go!!

They switched the Arsenal match over in a Finsbury Park pub ??.....brave men indeed

Andip wrote: »
    Waxy's was totally jammed on Sunday with extra screens and tons of bar staff (plenty of Tayto too !) rounded off with a trad band and a massive Hooley after the match.....my poor head ! And I was there as a neutral

I didn't stay for the band, but the atmosphere was fairly rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Choccie Lover, will you ever knuckle down and pretend you're from somewhere else? that can't be good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was in the Park Tavern down the road and an influx ran in b*tching about them changing over the match only to discover the final on there as well. Probably a 150% localised spike in anti-Irish sentiment as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Was in the Alex in Clapham. Downstairs all Irish. Was mobbed but good atmosphere. Upstairs was the EPL. Handy to run up and get a few mins of the football at half time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Choccie Lover, will you ever knuckle down and pretend you're from somewhere else? that can't be good for you!

Ha ha! No, I'm hanging in there.....We had our minors' win and lots of happy days during the summer with the senior team...... It ain't easy though!

Advertisement