Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting mock exams

Options
  • 18-09-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking about mocks. But I corrected for ExamCraft last year for the first time - does anyone know, do I need to contact them to apply for this year or will they contact me? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

sitstill wrote: »
    I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking about mocks. But I corrected for ExamCraft last year for the first time - does anyone know, do I need to contact them to apply for this year or will they contact me? Thanks

They usually make contact.
    They have their list of correctors and they will get in touch usually in the second term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

I did it for Examcraft last year too. Will NOT be going near it again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

teach88 wrote: »
    I did it for Examcraft last year too. Will NOT be going near it again!!

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I corrected for deb and found them great to deal with. Payment came on time (but I would of likes it earlier!). Will correct again for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Why is that?

Lots of work in a short period of time and nearly half the money went to the gov. I think I ended up with around €2 a paper..... less actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hi everyone, I'm correcting for the first time with DEB this year and they sent me out a form saying that scripts can be collected from the office and I return them every week in person(Fonthill park, Dublin 22). I'm based well over an hour and a half from there, does anyone know if I explain my situation to someone in reception, that they'll be sympathetic and post the scripts out to me??( I would assume that they won't considering the cost involved in this)but any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm correcting for the first time with DEB this year and they sent me out a form saying that scripts can be collected from the office and I return them every week in person(Fonthill park, Dublin 22). I'm based well over an hour and a half from there, does anyone know if I explain my situation to someone in reception, that they'll be sympathetic and post the scripts out to me??( I would assume that they won't considering the cost involved in this)but any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

I considered marking for them last year but went with ExamCRAFT in the end. DEB told me that they only post scripts out to markers who live outside of Co. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Seannew1 wrote: »

I live in the north west and used to correct for DEB. They post them out to you when you don't live in Dublin, they send you some labels to post them back by registered post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I am a primary teacher. Am I eligible to correct? How much do they pay?

I am a primary teacher. Am I eligible to correct? How much do they pay?

No you have to be a secondary teacher qualified to teach the subject you'd be marking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronnoc

Hi all,

Just wondering which works out better money wise - Examcraft or DEB? Also, can anyone tell me what volume of papers they were sent? I have been accepted to correct Examcraft but can't find any info about the estimated volume that I will receive. Any information and insight appreciated.

R

Ronnoc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering which works out better money wise - Examcraft or DEB? Also, can anyone tell me what volume of papers they were sent? I have been accepted to correct Examcraft but can't find any info about the estimated volume that I will receive. Any information and insight appreciated.

R

It works out more or less the same. DEB quote you the price per paper after tax whereas ExamCraft quote you the price per paper before tax.

This is my third year marking with ExamCraft. Last year I got about 500 papers in a 4 week period, the year before I only got about 150 in 3 weeks so it depends on your subject and on how many they get in.

It works out more or less the same. DEB quote you the price per paper after tax whereas ExamCraft quote you the price per paper before tax.

This is my third year marking with ExamCraft. Last year I got about 500 papers in a 4 week period, the year before I only got about 150 in 3 weeks so it depends on your subject and on how many they get in.

I mark for deb, I decide myself how many I want to take. This year I will only take max 50 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronnoc

Thanks for the replies. So, am I right in saying that DEB allow you to choose the number of scripts you mark whereas ExamCraft just send you the number of scripts that they need corrected?

ExamCraft set out a number of different rates (JC OL; JC HL; LC OL; LC HL) in their contracts - varying from €4 to €2.50. I take it from your post that these rates are all before tax. Thanks for that.

Ronnoc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. So, am I right in saying that DEB allow you to choose the number of scripts you mark whereas ExamCraft just send you the number of scripts that they need corrected?

ExamCraft set out a number of different rates (JC OL; JC HL; LC OL; LC HL) in their contracts - varying from €4 to €2.50. I take it from your post that these rates are all before tax. Thanks for that.

That's correct. ExamCraft do send a text each week asking whether you want papers but you don't get to specify how many you will take in each box that they post to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's correct. ExamCraft do send a text each week asking whether you want papers but you don't get to specify how many you will take in each box that they post to you.

Out of interest, do they have any checking procedures such as those in the SEC exams? Is there an exam conference?

spurious wrote: »
    Out of interest, do they have any checking procedures such as those in the SEC exams? Is there an exam conference?

There's no conference, just the marking scheme. They do have Supervising Correctors who spot check marked papers and provide feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no conference, just the marking scheme. They do have Supervising Correctors who spot check marked papers and provide feedback.

I doubt they have that facility for all subjects. In my experience with DEb I got a call one day when I was correcting for them saying they had a lot of complaints in from schools about their other corrector asking me if I would correct all thr scripts bad correct them as new. To be fair the schools were right. Some exams had a discrepancy of 40%. Disgraceful marking.

I doubt they have that facility for all subjects. In my experience with DEb I got a call one day when I was correcting for them saying they had a lot of complaints in from schools about their other corrector asking me if I would correct all thr scripts bad correct them as new. To be fair the schools were right. Some exams had a discrepancy of 40%. Disgraceful marking.

That may be true. However, I know that the year before last, some of the scripts I had marked were checked and I am certain that it had nothing to do with the standard of my marking.

• Advertisement

Yes DEB do checks. It is random selection apparently. My scripts got checked. If you are asked to do rechecks it is a bit more than double the money (in my subject).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmce24

Ive applied to exam craft but haven't heard anything yet - anyone in the same boat?

Lmce24 wrote: »
    Ive applied to exam craft but haven't heard anything yet - anyone in the same boat?

I'd imagine with a lot of pre-exams already started, that you'd have been notified by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmce24

I know our 3rd years started Tuesday and LCs started today - is there any likelihood of still getting some after midterm when other schools start?

Lmce24 wrote: »
    I know our 3rd years started Tuesday and LCs started today - is there any likelihood of still getting some after midterm when other schools start?

I would doubt it.
    Correctors would be sorted by now and ready to start correcting(if not already).

You could ring them and see but in all the years I corrected mocks, I had heard long before the pres started.

Just wondering if anyone else who corrected for Examcraft this year, got paid today? I did -- unexpectedly, they normally don't pay until May

Advertisement