Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most effeicent way to heat the house.

Options
  • 18-09-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am living in rented accommodation. There is an open fire in the sitting room which has no back boiler and then just your regular run of the mill central heating system. There isn't great insulation in the house and last year I was spending a fortune on oil. I topped up my tank yesterday as there is a bit of nip in the air. I was just wondering is there a efficient way of burning oil? One guy told me that if I set the timer or an hour 3 or 4 times a day it will keep the house warm. Another guy told me that if I give the house a blast of heat or 3 or 4 hours and turn it off it's better than having it coming on and off. I know insulation is a problem so I was thinking of asking the landlord would he consider insulating the house as it's a very long lease we have on it.
    So any tips or advise would be grateful. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

When we're talking about efficiency then your first stop should be to ask your landlord to honor his annual responsibilities and have the boiler correctly serviced with the use of a flue gas analyser that will leave the boiler working at its max efficiency and safely, then look for him to consider insulation, pointless having the insulation with all the heat heading up the flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when you say you spent a fortune, how much did you spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when you say you spent a fortune, how much did you spend?

I think in total through out the year it was over 2000. I only start burning it around September just after the summer. It ended up I wasn't able to afford any more after Christmas so I just bought a couple of electric heaters and used them. I am on a prepaid metre from the ESB so I could just keep it topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think in total through out the year it was over 2000. I only start burning it around September just after the summer. It ended up I wasn't able to afford any more after Christmas so I just bought a couple of electric heaters and used them. I am on a prepaid metre from the ESB so I could just keep it topped up.
    thats what I was going to suggest!

Advertisement