Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I need some advice. I'm not getting any sleep because the immersion in the apartment that I just moved into comes on at 3.30 in the morning and is loud ennough to wake me up. It goes on an off for four hours. I've looked into the timer online. It's an analogue job that can only be set for a minimum of 4 hours during the night to make use of cheap night rate electricity. I wouldnt mind what time it came on as long as it wasn't so loud. It's a loud hissing sound (like a kettle boiling and reboiling) along with some 'singing' pipe noises.

Am I stuck with this or is there anything I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm walking around like a zombie and getting desperate. I must be a light sleeper (although I never thought I was before) so I'm trying ear plugs tonight. Just wondered is there anything that I or a professional could do to fix this.

Thanks all in advance, Sparks. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is he water actually boiling? If so you should have the thermostat checked. It may be set too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sparky2009

The water is well hot for showers and washing dishes all day. Does this help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Sparky2009 wrote: »
    I need some advice. I'm not getting any sleep because the immersion in the apartment that I just moved into comes on at 3.30 in the morning and is loud ennough to wake me up. It goes on an off for four hours. I've looked into the timer online. It's an analogue job that can only be set for a minimum of 4 hours during the night to make use of cheap night rate electricity. I wouldnt mind what time it came on as long as it wasn't so loud. It's a loud hissing sound (like a kettle boiling and reboiling) along with some 'singing' pipe noises.

Am I stuck with this or is there anything I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm walking around like a zombie and getting desperate. I must be a light sleeper (although I never thought I was before) so I'm trying ear plugs tonight. Just wondered is there anything that I or a professional could do to fix this.

Thanks all in advance, Sparks. :confused:

Photo of clock and hot water tank please. And then we can give u some help.

I'll post pics within the next hour or so. Hopefully that might help.

Photos of tank and clock attached. Tank as you can see is heavily lagged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Look under the lagging for a thermostat and turn down to a lower setting. It should be fitted on the wires between clock and electrical imersion on the cylindre.
    If you don't have one, get one fitted.

Some of the better imersions have an ajustable thermostat under the cover.

As with all electrics, don't take chances and get professional help if required.

You need the clock for nightsaver electricty. There is better clocks with min. time of 15 min and up.
    Flash or APT are two makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Don't turn the stat below 55 degrees. Chances is your immersion is caked with lime and will need replacing. Are you in a hard water area?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

The stat in the immersion is probably faulty if it's boiling the hot water, some have a high limit safety, it's also in trouble if fitted.

Best to just get a new immersion.

Advertisement