Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repayment interest?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

How do you work out how much of your mortgage repayment is interest and how much is principal, i've looked at my account and it only gives a figure of interest and principal together and then insurance. if i'm paying back 400 a month at 3% p/a say, whats the correct way to work this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Total amount oustanding x interest rate = annual interest. Divide by 12 to get the monthly interest component.

Or, on your statement you should see interest added to your mortgage account every 1/3/6 months. Divide this amount by the number of months since the previous interest charge for the approx. monthly amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

So is this right, e.g (outstanding) 100000 x (interest rate) 0.03 = (annual interest) 3000 / 12 = (monthly interest)250?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Approximately so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

roro2 wrote: »
    Approximately so.

Yeah approximately is right, principal balance will reduce throughout the year slightly so interest will reduce also. So as you go along you have same payment but month on month the percentage of your repayment contributing to interest decreases.

Advertisement