Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland Hurling Quarter-Finals

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I asked this question earlier on another thread, but it probably wasn't the right thread for it. The question is this, and I am aware that it's not a life-or-death issue:

Why are the hurling quarter-finals so named, rather than being the fourth round of the qualifiers? It seems to me that if you lose a match in your provincial championship, you should go into the qualifiers, and try your luck from there. In the hurling quarter-finals, all of the teams have lost a match, but two have lost their last match.

For me, getting into the All-Ireland series itself should be a special thing. It doesn't seem appropriate that teams should be automatically shooed into the All-Ireland series having lost a game, even if it is a provincial final.

I would favour a renaming of the quarter-finals to a qualifier round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

TomAto, tomato

Even in the All-Ireland final this year, both teams have been beaten already. Is it the Final or Qualifier Round 6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

TomAto, tomato

Even in the All-Ireland final this year, both teams have been beaten already. Is it the Final or Qualifier Round 6 ?

He has a point. They are actually qualifiers.

The difference is is that the all the quarter finalists have definitely been beaten already. That's not true of the semi final or final. It just so happens that this year's finalists have both been beaten already.

Hardly the most pressing issue in GAA at present though.

Advertisement