Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No AC to Riello 40 Series Burner

Options
  • 17-09-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi All,

In a bit of a quandry. Woke up this morning to find that we had no heating. The timer switch is on and working but I've gone to the burner it was still warm suggesting that it had fired recently. I went to work and came home to start troubleshooting. The burner was still warm to touch as if it had fired recently again. I suspected the capacitor or control unit may be gone but there's no light on the reset switch that would normally be on.

I've just checked the AC on L and N on the sub base and its reading 0V AC.

Where next? Thermostat?

Is there a system fuse somewhere that may have popped?

Thanks

Dom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Is there power to the high limit stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Hi All,

In a bit of a quandry. Woke up this morning to find that we had no heating. The timer switch is on and working but I've gone to the burner it was still warm suggesting that it had fired recently. I went to work and came home to start troubleshooting. The burner was still warm to touch as if it had fired recently again. I suspected the capacitor or control unit may be gone but there's no light on the reset switch that would normally be on.

Where next? Thermostat?

Thanks

Dom

Sub base ?
    Has the high limit stat tripped ( the stat on the top of the boiler , button under black screw cap )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi All,

Where next? Thermostat?

Thanks

Dom
    I think your burner and AC voltage are ok.what is the thermostat stat set to on the boiler?,if you turn up the thermostat on the boiler does the burner fire?,it could just be a water circulation issue or if you have zones it could be a room thermostat,also is there AC going to the circulating pump and is it working..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Sure enough I went out to check the Thermostat. Unscrewed the black cap and tried to press the button. Nothing happened.

I unscrewed the cover of the thermostat to check the AC values. There was a sound from the thermostat and about 5 seconds later the boiler fired up. It burned for about 4 minutes before cutting out. I checked the heating inside to see was there any circulation and the pipes were stone cold.

I turned the thermostat from 75 degrees up to 90 and it fired again before cutting out again after a minute. That was about 15 minutes ago and nothing since.

Thermostat issue or pump issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I'd say pump or airlock , is the pump spinning ?

• Advertisement

Sure enough I went out to check the Thermostat. Unscrewed the black cap and tried to press the button. Nothing happened.

I unscrewed the cover of the thermostat to check the AC values. There was a sound from the thermostat and about 5 seconds later the boiler fired up. It burned for about 4 minutes before cutting out. I checked the heating inside to see was there any circulation and the pipes were stone cold.

I turned the thermostat from 75 degrees up to 90 and it fired again before cutting out again after a minute. That was about 15 minutes ago and nothing since.

Id check the AC to the pump,then unscrew the screw cap on the pump house casing and see is the pump circulating...

The thermostat is working correctly

Is there water in the boiler?

shane0007 wrote: »
    Is there water in the boiler?

I hope so!

agusta wrote: »
    Id check the AC to the pump,then unscrew the screw cap on the pump house casing and see is the pump circulating...

I'll give it a while to cool down. Its raging hot!

• Advertisement

You may not have if the HL tripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

any 1of 3 things low water level circulating pump or airlock

shane0007 wrote: »
    You may not have if the HL tripped.

Is this the feed tank in the attic youre talking about?

No. Water in the boiler itself. Open air vent on boiler but be careful as it will most likely be super steam exiting.

You could check the resistance of the circulating motor also.

Just undid the screw cap on the front of the casing of the pump and it was seized inside. A little encouragement with a screw driver and shes spinning freely now. Just waiting for the boiler to cool before retesting now. Fingers crossed.

Failing that it will be a double duvet night - at least for tonight!

Just undid the screw cap on the front of the casing of the pump and it was seized inside. A little encouragement with a screw driver and shes spinning freely now. Just waiting for the boiler to cool before retesting now. Fingers crossed.

jaysus its only sept yet how many duvet in December

great,it should be ok now,the armature in the pump sometimes get stuck when it hasnt been running over the summer months

Switch it on if the pump is now working. The pump will dump the heat from the boiler into the heating system. If boiler fires after a while, then pump is working. If not, pump is dead or slow.

Agusta, Jim, Shane, Everyone! - Take a bow. You guys are in my debt tonight.

Piping hot water back in circulation! You have no idea.

Single glazing wooden windows, 8" slab concrete prefab bungalow with no wall insulation which bakes in the summer and freezes in the winter. Double duvet would be a minimum requirement :)

Thanks so much again!!

Piping hot water back in circulation! You have no idea.

Single glazing wooden windows, 8" slab concrete prefab bungalow with no wall insulation which bakes in the summer and freezes in the winter. Double duvet would be a minimum requirement :)

Thanks so much again!!

ur welcome and thanks for feedback youd be surprised how many don't

• Advertisement

Your welcome,Dont forget to turn your thermostat back down from 90 to what you normally have it set at.

agusta wrote: »
    Your welcome,Dont forget to turn your thermostat back down from 90 to what you normally have it set at.

The missus can do that! Shes been roaring since 6.30 am :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I think it would have been nicer if it was you in their debt :D

I think it would have been nicer if it was you in their debt :D

Haha - fact Billy. But then again, I was thinking that they would have had nothing to get their teeth stuck into this evening without me - I was doing them a favour!

Advertisement