Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know if I have a septic problem

Options
  • 17-09-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

The house is less than 20 years old. I live by myself 5/6 days a week.

A year ago and a half ago I noticed the outside kitchen drain overflowing from a full sink draining. I had the septic tank drained in summer 2012 and the problem disappeared. It briefly reappeared (a week or two ) last autumn as the weather was turning.

Just recently the kitchen drain is backing up easily again, along with the roof downpipe nearby (about 6 feet apart). Coincidentally the same time-ish as last year, though this time it's dragged on for a few weeks longer. Rain today also seems to have brought it to the top, even though I was out.

However I've noticed that the toilet outlet, which is lower/deeper than the kitchen drain, is clear.

Could this mean I have a problem with the kitchen to septic tank pipe rather than septic tank percolation problem? With only myself most of the time in the house, the load on the tank is low.

Any info appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

I think that your kitchen sink gully is connected to your storm water system.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks, I didn't know what it was called, but yes, that sounds right. So what does that mean though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It probably means a combination of grease & food-scraps from the sink and moss, leaves and other debris from the down-pipe are blocking the gulley. A bit of rodding should bring good results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

It means that your kitchen sink is not connected to your septic.Your storm water/rain water will either run to an open drain or soakaway. Unless of course you live in a town or city.Given that your house is approx 20 years old your soakaway could be past it's best. Definitely the kitchen sink gully is prone to grease and food scraps as is the storm water one prone to leaves and these must certainly be cleaned.But I think that your problem may be further down the line as this seems to occur after heavy rain.Add to this the fact that your sewer is clear. A bit of investigation needed .Just to add that sometimes kitchen sinks/dishwashers and washing machines were connected to the storm water so as to divert them away from the septic tank as the detergents had an adverse effect on the old tanks. Not a problem with the new ones I believe.

Advertisement