Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Rent / Bills Account

Options
  • 17-09-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am an absolute novice when it comes to knowing the ins & outs of banking so please excuse if what follows sounds idiotic :o

Myself and the OH are getting our own place in the next few weeks and I'm wondering should we set up a new joint account for rent / bills so we can both transfer X amount into it on payday (we're both paid weekly) and then when the bills are due pay them straight out of that account.

Or would it be better to set a new account up in one of our names and still do the same as above? Neither of us have debt problems or are irresponsible usually with money, I'm just a great believer in keeping what you need in one place and having your own current account for your personal spending money only.

Any advice on this, and if it is the right thing to do which bank should we go with? Cards / ATM access wouldn't matter, just the ability to make online transfers to pay bills / rent.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well they do say money is cause of a lot of arguments in relationships :pac:

We have our joint account with BOI (will be moving it soon). We both lodge X amount every month and that takes care of all the bills and shopping. We both have a card as if we need something for the house we just buy it. I say get card each.

To be honest it's the best idea as it splits everything down the middle and each of you have your own money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am an absolute novice when it comes to knowing the ins & outs of banking so please excuse if what follows sounds idiotic :o

Myself and the OH are getting our own place in the next few weeks and I'm wondering should we set up a new joint account for rent / bills so we can both transfer X amount into it on payday (we're both paid weekly) and then when the bills are due pay them straight out of that account.

Or would it be better to set a new account up in one of our names and still do the same as above? Neither of us have debt problems or are irresponsible usually with money, I'm just a great believer in keeping what you need in one place and having your own current account for your personal spending money only.

Any advice on this, and if it is the right thing to do which bank should we go with? Cards / ATM access wouldn't matter, just the ability to make online transfers to pay bills / rent.

we set up a joint account with AIB to pay bills out of, and we kept our own personal accounts. We are also able to both see the joint account on our online banking, so if we did forget to pay into it we can easily do an online transfer. It is handy as I know what is coming out and when, so we always have enough in it. You will both just have to go in and opening it together, each bringing ID & proof of address etc.

Advertisement