Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mine is six inches long

Options
  • 17-09-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

You heard me. I picked up a new firesteel a while back, a six inch long blank, half an inch in diameter, and strapped some paracord around the middle of it.

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

As you can see it's been through a bit of use! That's a double constrictor knot, just a simple X with the cord pushed under it on either end, then a double shoelace knot (that's what I call it, no idea what the offical name for it is, I tie my shoelaces with it) to bind the whole together, and the same to tie the two ends together.

I used those knots in case I ever need to unbind it and use the cord for other purposes, they hold well while being easy to pick apart. This is also why I didn't melt the knots for a better seal.

Initially the plan was to drill out and carve a piece of bog oak for a handle and holster but then I thought, what does that gain me? I lose an inch and a half off the back end, the thing won't slide into a knife sheath no matter how modified it is, and I'll be stuck with packing a sharp lumpy piece of wood. Sure it would look pretty but really, I think I'll save that for the next blank I buy. Now I can switch the rod around to get the maximum life out of it.

I got that off ebay, rapid delivery and no complaints on the price. Initially, worried about quality, I went to these guys looking for a big un. I went through the ordering process only to be told they didn't deliver to Ireland. Great, I'll send off a quick email to query that - no reply after two weeks, so bad cess to them.

That blank produces a fine fat shower of sparks, but you have to use the right striker. The proforce was too big, and the sparks went flying off in every direction far too early. A simple dog tag one built up a hard to remove residue and just stopped working. Oddly it also scraped the top of the firesteel so flat that it didn't spark at all! I eventually got the results I wanted with the Light my Fire striker, whose smaller teeth did well in terms of control and quantity.

Overall I have to say I deeply enjoy using this firesteel. There's something very satisfying about lighting your fire with a shower of sparks, and the heft and weight of it adds to the experience. You don't need a handle, as the modifications show, but if you did you could make one fairly easily. I feel more interested in practising my tinder production skills with this in hand, and it will last for decades.

An important note about firesteels in general:
    SALT WATER OR SWEAT CORRODES THEM.
    If it's on a necklace next to your skin, you're damaging your firesteel. Even being in a salty environment like near the sea can cause a blueish black compound to form, and it will absolutely consume your steel. Varnish the exposed bits or keep it in a waterproof baggie with the rest of your tinder and firemaking supplies. Salt of any sort plus firesteels equals destruction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Mine is six inches long
    "This size... is perfect for scout masters" :eek: :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Esel wrote: »
    "This size... is perfect for scout masters" :eek: :D
    They do a twelve inch blank too, I can't imagine what that would be perfect for! ;)

Actually you could put it inside a walking stick, that might be quite nice.I was reading some guy's blog a while back and he estimates the six inch should do for about a quarter of a century lighting fires daily, so that should keep me going for a while anyway.

I'm still getting another one and do the bog oak project though, it would look good on the hip while swaggering about in a nettle fibre suit.

Advertisement