Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to start acting classes of drama groups?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've been advised to take acting lessons to help improve my communication skills.

I've thought about the Gaiety School of Acting', 'Introduction to drama' course.

However, I feel that I might be out of place as the students could be a good bit younger.

I'm 29.

I'm not really looking to make a career out of it, or look for a role in a play. I just worry that it might feel really awkward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What about the Toastmasters?

http://toastmaster.ie/

Not a member myself, as I prefer the amateur drama, but I think they might be closer to your needs.

You're never too old!

I'm part of a theatre group www.facebook.com/firedoortheatre and we meet up every Tuesday to explore Drama.

Only €25 a calendar month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I did that very course about 18 months ago- I would totally recommend it. I did it to improve my communications skills and out of acting interest, and I got a great deal out of it.

When I was there we had about 20 on the course ranging in age from early twenties up to late forties. It was a real good mix.

I believe they have free classes on Culture Night if you fancied having a look before committing (can be a bit mobbed tho...)

Overall- do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Definately not too old im in an amatuer group at the moment our age range is 20 to 51 with most people between 35 and 45. Why not check out the amatuer scene rather than forking over a heap of cash to the gaiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TheDruidWizard

Rachiee wrote: »
    Why not check out the amatuer scene rather than forking over a heap of cash to the gaiety.

I tried that before in the beginning of the year.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really nice friendly group. I just often felt that I was thrown in the deep end a bit with people with far more experience than myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Yeah that can be difficult alright even after 5 years I still find some improv work really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sinelynch

Hi Druid Wizard,
    My name is Sine and I'm a qualified drama and communications teacher. I work with Ann Russell of the Russell Academy.
    We've an Acting for Fun class starting on Tuesday 8th Oct at 630pm in Rathmines. We work with all age groups and typically students are mid twenties upwards. The classes are fun, energetic and excellent for improving your communication skills and confidence. Check out our website if you are interested www.russellacademy.ie You'll find all contact details there if you'd like more information.
    Hope to hear from you.
    Thanks
    Sine

Rachiee wrote: »
    Yeah that can be difficult alright even after 5 years I still find some improv work really tough.

Yeah, I was only introduced to improv when I did a six week beginners course that started in January.

The course was really enjoyable and I learnt a lot. However it's currently on hiatus, though they say they'll return in the new year.

After I finished the six week course, I started the amateur drama group. Which as I said I felt was a bit too difficult.

So I decided that I should stick to the beginners courses for the meantime.

You're never too old!

I'm part of a theatre group www.facebook.com/firedoortheatre and we meet up every Tuesday to explore Drama.

Only €25 a calendar month too.

What time does your group start at?

The doors are open at 6.30, there's tea and coffee so people can warm up/unwind after work and then the workshop starts at 7pm. We've just started rehearsals for our first production opening on Hallowe'en, so if you were interested in being involved/helping out something like that, it would be a great time to get in.

Feel free to pm if you've any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mcmark

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have found the course you are looking for, but just to give you another option. I run 'An introduction to Acting for Adults' workshop. It's a 6 week course very much geared towards increasing your communication skills as well as an Introduction to acting itself.

A good few of the past students had been looking to improve their confidence, performance in public and communication ability and found the course very beneficial.

It's a fun and safe environment in which to learn some new skills that can be transferred directly into the workplace as well as your everyday life.

Please check out the website for further info and testimonials - http://www.markmcauley.com/#!acting-workshops

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albion1

Hi,
    You are in a situation that so many find themselves which is why we set up classes for that reason. Drama should be for all and not specific age groups or levels. Our class is a social drama class, designed to build confidence in a totally relaxed and safe environment. Its every Thursday from 7.30-8.30 for 13.50 a class! I hope this suits? Can give you a call for a chat too if you wish?

Albion1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    You are in a situation that so many find themselves which is why we set up classes for that reason. Drama should be for all and not specific age groups or levels. Our class is a social drama class, designed to build confidence in a totally relaxed and safe environment. Its every Thursday from 7.30-8.30 for 13.50 a class! I hope this suits? Can give you a call for a chat too if you wish?

It would be better if you just posted your details, when, where, who about your group on the forum. Then also post any website or social media links you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albion1

Hi Sorry!
    We are Limitless Drama Education. we are on Camden St. The Thursday class is only for adults who want to have fun and gain in confidence. There is no pressure.
    You can find us on limitlessdrama.net or https://www.facebook.com/LimitlessDramaEducation?ref=hl

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 NewinDub

Oooh, I'm so happy I found this thread ..I would love to get back into it again. I did actually do the Intro to drama at the Gaiety and really loved it but thought it was too expensive to fork out the money for all the follow up courses. Will check out all these recommendations over the weekend :)) Only problem is that my Tuesdays are busy and for some reason most drama events happen to be on a Tue ....

We (firedoor Theatre) have a limit on how many people we take in in a month.

Our limit is 20 people a month, 12 max of either gender.

We are now turning away dudes at the moment! So if the demand is there, we might start another night on Mondays. It probably won't be til the New Year though.

You can email firedoortheatre@gmail.com for more info/ go on the waiting list if you like

:)

Just to let everyone know, I actually went ahead with the Gaiety 'Intro to drama' course.

It was a lot better than I expected and I wasn't actually the oldest one there.

Advertisement