Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB credit card fraud

Options
  • 17-09-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just found out my Visa card was hacked and charged with over €500 from some site in USA!ive contacted security department in pTSB who have said ill need to sign forms and get them stamped by gardai before they can persue the matter!my question is who is liable to pay back this money,is it me or do they delete it from ur account???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

Interesting – I just got a mail to say my PTSB online account has been suspended due to hack attempts. I never use the online but did set it up years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Most banks are on the ball when it comes to detecting fraudulent transactions. Due to the different legal situation between Credit and Debit Cards, you are best using a credit card for any form of electronic payment. I rarely use my Danske ATM card for online payments and had the same situation recently with 3 unauthorised payments that they spotted and called me about. Like the previous poster, I just had to sign a form. I got all the money back from the bank, one of payments was subsequently returned so the bank clawed this back having already given me the money.

Getting the form signed by the Gardai is a bit "belt and braces" - I imagine its a deterrent to people "trying it on"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

OP: In the interim, you should pay the full balance on your card, if you can, to avoid interest payments - they would be refunded as well, but it just gets a bit messy. Payment of the balance does not constitute acceptance that the transactions are legit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AlanG wrote: »
    Interesting – I just got a mail to say my PTSB online account has been suspended due to hack attempts. I never use the online but did set it up years ago.
    Your bank will never email you stuff like that. The mail you got is probably a hacking attempt, especially if it contains any links or asks you to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

As did I. And I don't have a PTSB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Dont pay attention to those emails I get them every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

A few years ago I had some strange charges to my AIB credit card, amounting to around €2,000. AIB were very good about it and charged the amounts back to the people who accepted the card details online, for gambling.

The card was cancelled and replaced immediately.

If you use your card online this can happen. I'm sure most of us use credit and debit cards online at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

PucaMama wrote: »

I get them as well...except I don't have a PTSb account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

seamus wrote: »
    Your bank will never email you stuff like that. The mail you got is probably a hacking attempt, especially if it contains any links or asks you to reply.
    Just to note that it's a phishing attempt, there is a big difference between hacking and phishing. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...and little of it relevant to the OP's situation. Let's keep it on topic folks.

OP: if it's legitimately fraud, then you should be fine. Once they have established that you are not at fault, the transactions will be removed from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

How did you find out? was there just charges you didn't recognize on your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Happened me on PTSB Visa Card. Games purchased from E.A. in Rupees and online betting money.

Got the Garda form and they refunded. When I rang he tweaked straight away what had happened.

I signed up for Xbox Live once and got a call from the company as apparently that is a common way to spend stolen cards!

Advertisement