Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agency

Options
  • 17-09-2013 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am having a problem with the agency I am renting my apartment from. My boiler broke down and a pipe broke within the building resulting in both a leak through the ceiling and water flooding from the boiler which has damaged the wooden floors. I contacted the agency 4 weeks ago at the start of all this and they didn't seem too concerned, I stressed there was going to be considerable damage fro the water leakage and they said they needed to contact the landlord in order to proceed. They sent out a plumber who said that the leak and boiler needed to be repaired but he was unable to do it without permission from the landlord (completely understandable) I heard nothing back from the agency and the situation and damage has gotten worse. It wasn't until I sent an email (one of several) stating that I was 1;not waiting for a return phone call and 2; not being held responsible for the damage that the agency finally called my house mate today and said they had been trying to reach me for days which is a complete lie. I am 6 months into my lease and now alarm bells are ringing because I have a nasty feeling they will try and withhold my deposit. I have maintained this property to a good standard and I feel I am being exploited by this agency who have no issue with taking my money every month and leaving me with ruined flooring and a broken boiler.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- it sounds like the letting agency want a quiet life, and are there (in their eyes) for collecting the rent and precious little else.
    Its quite possible they neglected to contact the landlord until later in this saga- and may have downplayed the extent of the damage (only speculating here).
    You have no idea whether the landlord is aware of the damage at all.

The letting agency are an agent of the landlord- and while they are your point of contact- the landlord is ultimately responsible for issues such as this.

You need to get tough with the letting agent. They need to be licensed by the PSRA (www.psr.ie) as a Type D operator. Tell the letting agent that unless the issue is resolved to your and the landlord's full satisfaction within (give a few days)- that you will lodge a complaint with the PSRA (for the letting agent) and the PRTB (the landlord).

I would also urgently contact the Management Company associated with the apartment complex- as it sounds like the issue you're encountering has the propensity to affect adjacent/adjoining units. You *need* to contact the Management Company- aside from the damage to other units- they will have contact information for your landlord (if you don't have it yourself).

It sounds like the letting agency seem to think that they can just collect the rent and sod everything else- it certainly doesn't work that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shaun87

Thank you very much. It did seem that until I got a bit tough they weren't bothered. My main concern is that I don't want to be held accountable for damage which was beyond my control. I did take photographs but I'm not sure if that is of any use. Thank you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

shaun87 wrote: »
    Thank you very much. It did seem that until I got a bit tough they weren't bothered. My main concern is that I don't want to be held accountable for damage which was beyond my control. I did take photographs but I'm not sure if that is of any use. Thank you again.

Hold onto the rent when it's due they will soon contact you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shaun87

A lot of people have said that to me but I don't want to do that because I am trying to play by the rules and I don't want it to come back and bite me in the behind if I do that, Don't get me wrong if it comes to it I will but I'm trying to find a solution in the mean time because I'm not putting p with months more of calls and waiting and emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

If you contact the management company of the block to tell them about the leak they should in turn contact the landlord. The Mgt Co won't give you the landlords no should contact him for you, don't mention the letting agency when dealing with the mgt company.

Its in the best interest of the mgt co to get the leak resolved for insurance reasons

• Advertisement
Advertisement