Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove pump banging

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have a strange one here . I got a back boiler san remo stove installed last year which was connected into the oil central heating and heats 10 rads.
    Problem is the heat pump makes a loud banging noise which travels through the pipes when it kicks in about two bangs per second. I have checked the attic tank which is full and bled all the rads. The banging stops if I switch on the pump for the oil fired boiler at the same time without oil fired boiler running just its pump and as the stove has its own pump so both running together no noise , or if i turn the thermostat near the stove on and off when it starts banging eventually i can get the banging to stop and the system works ok. I dont think it is air as I have bled it repeatedly and as the water is only luke warm when the pump kicks in its not banging due to excessive heat. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The pump for stove isnt working or stat is set too high. Heat isnt getting distributed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I am sure someone will give you a much better reply than me but here goes. Ideally the thermostat should be set at 40/50 degrees all the time. What do you mean by turning on and off the thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I mean by turning the stat to 80 so the pump switches off and then back to maybe 50 where it switches on again
    Daisy M wrote: »
    I am sure someone will give you a much better reply than me but here goes. Ideally the thermostat should be set at 40/50 degrees all the time. What do you mean by turning on and off the thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Darsad wrote: »
    I mean by turning the stat to 80 so the pump switches off and then back to maybe 50 where it switches on again

Are you saying the pump switches off if the stat is turned up to 80 and turns on if turned back to 50??
    That sounds wrong to me. Have you mixed up on/off temps?
    It should switch on around 40/50 and stay on until the temp drops below the set point. I wonder could the pipe stat be faulty or wired wrong?

Have you bled the pump? is the flow from the stove rising to open vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Daisy M wrote: »

Setting a stat to below 50C is incorrect, as it can lead to legionnaires in the cylinder. Once the fire does down, then the heated cylinder can act as the heat source & reduce in temperature to the temperature setting of the stat.
    This is why stats should be set to minimum 55C to eliminate risk of legionaries.

The OP issue is most likely a physical piping issue rather than a temperature setting issue but it could equally be. Solid fuel can work a treat when done properly but more common can break your balls when done arse ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

shane0007 wrote: »
    Setting a stat to below 50C is incorrect, as it can lead to legionnaires in the cylinder. Once the fire does down, then the heated cylinder can act as the heat source & reduce in temperature to the temperature setting of the stat.
    This is why stats should be set to minimum 55C to eliminate risk of legionaries.

The OP issue is most likely a physical piping issue rather than a temperature setting issue but it could equally be. Solid fuel can work a treat when done properly but more common can break your balls when done arse ways.

Ok thank you, I never realised the reason a minimum setting was given was something to do with legionaires, I thought it was for a technical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

Darsad wrote: »
    Hi all I have a strange one here . I got a back boiler san remo stove installed last year which was connected into the oil central heating and heats 10 rads.
    Problem is the heat pump makes a loud banging noise which travels through the pipes when it kicks in about two bangs per second. I have checked the attic tank which is full and bled all the rads. The banging stops if I switch on the pump for the oil fired boiler at the same time without oil fired boiler running just its pump and as the stove has its own pump so both running together no noise , or if i turn the thermostat near the stove on and off when it starts banging eventually i can get the banging to stop and the system works ok. I dont think it is air as I have bled it repeatedly and as the water is only luke warm when the pump kicks in its not banging due to excessive heat. Any ideas greatly appreciated

is this a new issue or something you have had from day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Its used to happen a little maybe once a week and simply turning the pump off and on again would stop it and we stopped using the stove around the end of April. We have only started to light it again in the last few days but the noise is constant. If I turn on the pump when the system is cold it will make the noise.

Advertisement