Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent review of The Panoramics

Options
  • 16-09-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey - we're getting married next year and thinking of getting The Panoramics as the wedding band and DJ. Any recent experiences of them? Their set list is slightly limited so do you know are they good at playing 'off-menu' songs? All responses much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

ollie103 wrote: »
    Hey - we're getting married next year and thinking of getting The Panoramics as the wedding band and DJ. Any recent experiences of them? Their set list is slightly limited so do you know are they good at playing 'off-menu' songs? All responses much appreciated!

My brother had them at his wedding in Feb this year and thought they were great. They played mostly newer music for him as that's what he wanted.
    Good singing, good music, good variety of songs. I'd be very critical of bands as i go to a fair few gigs but i'd recommend them.
    My only criticism was their PA was was a bit under powered for the size of the room in the hotel and anyone that understands what 200 people in a room can do to 2 x single 15" bins and 2 tops will know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

niallam wrote: »
    My brother had them at his wedding in Feb this year and thought they were great. They played mostly newer music for him as that's what he wanted.
    Good singing, good music, good variety of songs. I'd be very critical of bands as i go to a fair few gigs but i'd recommend them.
    My only criticism was their PA was was a bit under powered for the size of the room in the hotel and anyone that understands what 200 people in a room can do to 2 x single 15" bins and 2 tops will know what i mean.

Obviously it depends on what brand pa was used. You must know a bit about sound if you are making this criticism. My RCF system of two 12" tops and 15" bins for instance would have plenty of headroom in most venues that hold 200+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Id weigh straight in behind sweetie and ask for the RCF as well, anyone who understands sound knows this is what counts. what was make and model? E.g. Yamaha dxr 12s and dxs 15 bins would be putting out way more then your average 18" bin and 15" top.

Not that 99% of people would understand that anyway but just so we have context :)

OP, theyre a damn fine band, you wont go wrong if you're thinking of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Id weigh straight in behind sweetie and ask for the RCF as well, anyone who understands sound knows this is what counts. what was make and model? E.g. Yamaha dxr 12s and dxs 15 bins would be putting out way more then your average 18" bin and 15" top.

Not that 99% of people would understand that anyway but just so we have context :)

OP, theyre a damn fine band, you wont go wrong if you're thinking of booking.

I know it is way off the topic but it was Trim Castle hotel with 200 people in the room, while the band were playing it was like background music from up at the top table (at the windows). I didn't make it my business to look as I was best man and busy (drinking) all day. Like a Thomann box system. The sound was just lost once you walked off the dance floor.
    The band that played my own wedding had 2 EV twin 18" bins and 15" tops, all be it that they're not a wedding band really and 2 bands of friends that mixed together for the night for me, The 9 Inch Trio and the Hot Rocks.

Anyway as I said they were a good band, but lacking in a bit of sound presence, thats my opinion as that's my experience of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I know it is way off the topic but it was Trim Castle hotel with 200 people in the room, while the band were playing it was like background music from up at the top table (at the windows). I didn't make it my business to look as I was best man and busy (drinking) all day. Like a Thomann box system. The sound was just lost once you walked off the dance floor.
    The band that played my own wedding had 2 EV twin 18" bins and 15" tops, all be it that they're not a wedding band really and 2 bands of friends that mixed together for the night for me, The 9 Inch Trio and the Hot Rocks.

Anyway as I said they were a good band, but lacking in a bit of sound presence, thats my opinion as that's my experience of them ;)

That actually sounds perfect to me. If I could go sit at the back of the room and have a chat with family and friends without screaming over the music, but could hear enough of the music to know when a song came on that'd I'd like to dance to and then could head to the dance floor where the music is loud.. well that's ideal... for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ah, that might explain it, thats not a particularly long room but its very high and wide and the sound escapes up, I play there regularly and you are right, if the band arent booming loud then you wont get the full effect down the back but it would be fine around the dance floor. The problem is if you turn up loud enough to get the full effect down the back then its way too loud on the dance floor. Ive got a dynacord 2.6k rig and when sound checking make sure its just ok to about the edge of the dance floor in trim but not loud down the back as people like a chat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've known bands downsizing from twin 18s to singles since the active speaker market has gotten better at squeezing more power into smaller and lighter boxes but in fairness anyone (band or dj) gigging properly with that sort of PA needs to have a good look at what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LovelyFreak

I booked them for my wedding (in 3 weeks). From my dealings with them so far I could not be happier. We know our music (both musicians) so know what to look for in a band, and they can't do enough for you. Seen them play showcases prior to booking, sound was good. I'll check back in after the wedding and update more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LovelyFreak

Ok so we're back from honeymoon after a FANTASTIC wedding. The Panoramics were incredible, and we have had nothing but good feedback from guests. I won't go on about it, but sound quality was brilliant, and the guys went all out for us. I couldn't recommend them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazag

An idea of price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement