Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month work visa to living in US?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've just finished university and I am weighing up a number of options for my future, one of which is to perhaps visit the US on a 12 month work visa.

While researching the idea, I came across the story of a local lad I know who went to the US on a 12 month working visa and has been sponsored by a company to work in the US.

I was wondering is that cods wallop in your opinion or is it possible to do so?

I am very close with a company in the US which has over 200 hundred employees and a turnover of about USD $20m so if it is a reality maybe they could sponsor me.

I welcome every ones thoughts, anecdotes, advice and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No it's not codswallop. US companies frequently sponsor foreign employees for long term work visas. However the process is very expensive (costing $5000 to $10,000 per person) & involves hiring immigration attorneys to process the application, so companies wouldn't be willing to go to to that trouble and expense for the average employee. They often also have to prove that no capable US citizen is available to do the work that they are hiring you to do. So unless you possess an in demand skill or a trade that is very short supply in the US, than could be a big stumbling block. It's not enough just to have contacts with American firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's definitely possible if you impress them/ have the right skills. Lil-lisa, my fellow USA mod, came to the US that way. I am sure she'll reply when she sees this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Thank you for your replies guys - I really appreciate it.

So essentially, in the correct conditions as you mentioned above, you can move from a 12 month working visa to working in the US.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's a very common way to get an H1B visa. I came over a few years ago on the 12 month visa and got a job with a small company. A few months into the job they started the process while I continued to work on the J1 visa.

You should keep timing in mind. The H1B visa applications are open in April and the visa itself will begin in October 2014. You would ideally want to have secured a job which will sponsor you before April and would want the J1 visa to continue to October so you can still legally work until the visa comes through.

Also, keep in mind that the visas run out very quickly. They only offer 65,000 a year and sometimes they are all taken in the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Thanks lil lisa, I appreciate it!

So if I were to head over in early January for example, and start the paperwork in February / March (for the application process which begins in April) there is a chance that I could get a H1B visa for October 2014. Is that cutting it fine?

I / the company would probably need a good immigration lawyer / HR representative!

Hopefully they are increasing the H1B visa's as I read recently!

Thank you again lil lisa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PolkaDots23

Hi Everyone, I'm new to all of this and have some questions! I'm looking into working in the US and would need a H1B visa to work in my field. I have applied to a few clinics, and had some good feedback about jobs...but so far 2 different employers have asked me to research the visa process, as they have never sponsored a foreign employee! Does anyone know if the paperwork is available online to begin the process? Or do they have to hire an attorney to carry out the sponsorship process?

Also, I am considering doing the 12 month J1 visa so that I could begin work as soon as possible! Similar to Average Hero I would love to get the H1B for October 2014 and would be curious about the timeline, and whether January gives enough time to ensure all would be ready for April?

Thanks for any help you can offer :-)

Advertisement