Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't cleaned the chimney in a year, safe to light stove?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently down with a dose of tonsillitis and know from my reading before that you should get your chimney cleaned before the start of each new fire season. It's getting nippy now and I wouldn't mind sticking the inset stove on, feel too weak at the moment to pull out and prepare the stove for the chimney sweep so would like to get away with a few lightings until I'm back to good and can get it swept. Is there any particular danger lighting the stove now considering it hasn't been used in about 6 months? I didn't even use it too often either, it wasn't on every night and I used only kiln dried hardwood the last 20 or so lightings.

I got it cleaned this time last year so it's not like it's been years..

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Better be safe than sorry.you have notten to do to get ready for a chimney sweep.that means no prep or cleaning after.what area are you in and someone can recomend a good sweep.tell a sweep your not well and he might put you on top of his list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks crock, I have an inset stove which will need to be removed from the fireplace. It's just a slot in one I installed myself, no metal flu or flu attachments so I have to remove it and reinstall it myself for them to get to the chimney to clean it. Have the heater on at the mo so will probably just stick with it until I feel up for removing the stove, it won't take much, just more than I have at the minute.

Advertisement