Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Querying a transaction on an An Post currency card

Options
  • 16-09-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I recently used an An Post currency card while in the US and found it fantastic – saved a fortune on fees and charges. But while I was checking my transactions today, I notice that I seemed to have been charged for two transactions in a petrol station, where I only used the card once. The strange thing is, that they are for different amounts, one is $67 (which is the correct amount) the other is for $75. The transaction for $75 is currently pending, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Does anyone know the correct procedure to challenge this charge? On the cash passport site, it just says to contact the provider, it doesn’t mention anything about rogue charges on the An Post website. Are these cards guaranteed like an ordinary credit card? Or am I unlikely to recoup that $75?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it's showing as pending, it's probably just authorisation. If so, you should see it drop off before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Self service petrol station by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

The pending charge will drop off. It's how some petrol stations do it in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Yes, self service petrol pump, but IIRC, we couldn't get it to accept the card so we had to go in and pay manually. What's worrying me is the fact that its different amounts. I suppose all I can do is wait few days and see if it falls off.

Does anyone know if these cards are protected if it does turn out to be fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Ita a different amount as the stations pre-authorises what they think would be the 'Max' transaction to make sure there's enough available funds. Then they charge the actual amount used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

ncmc wrote: »
    Yes, self service petrol pump, but IIRC, we couldn't get it to accept the card so we had to go in and pay manually. What's worrying me is the fact that its different amounts. I suppose all I can do is wait few days and see if it falls off.

Does anyone know if these cards are protected if it does turn out to be fraud?

It's a pre-authorisation hold placed on the card in case you do a legger. The hold will fall off after 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the replies, the charge did indeed fall off after 7 days.

Just another quick question, how do I cash out the remaining balance on the card? Do I have to go back into the post office or can I use it in an ATM here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think the ATM fee is quite high but the post office do it cheaper/free.

Advertisement