Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spokesman (repairs)

Options
  • 16-09-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone used this guy before for a service? I've seen his van around Grand Canal Square on Tuesdays, just wondering if he's any good or just the ususal rip off/crap service I've encountered Dublin.

If he's crap, can you recommend someone that provides a good bike service. I live in Kilmainham but work around Grand Canal Square.

DOC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

Bee Cycles South Circular Road near Dolphin's Barn- 4 mins away. Great mechanic, interested and reasonably prices. Ok, Darragh, I gotta stop recommending you here- I ain't related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

doc1976 wrote: »
    Hey,

Has anyone used this guy before for a service? I've seen his van around Grand Canal Square on Tuesdays, just wondering if he's any good or just the ususal rip off/crap service I've encountered Dublin.

I've never used him for mechanical stuff because I do my own, but I do know from talking to him (at length) that he's an absolutely lovely guy and ripping you off would be the farthest thing from his mind.

He's gone to the UK to do bike mechanic qualifications and I think he's C&G qualified, so I presume he knows his stuff.

If you work there and are therefore nearby anyway, get him to quote for whatever you need done. If it's too expensive, haggle or go elsewhere.

Certainly don't write him off so quickly if he's situated that conveniently to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I haven't had any dealings with the Spokesman.

But as you asked for local recommendations, I was happy with the service provided by the mechanic in FreeWheeling on Pearse Street (just past Pearse Square, so it's near Grand Canal Square).

I had problems with gear indexing. The shop I bought my bike from didn't do a great job at fixing it, so I brought it there and he sorted it out. Nice guy too.

Price was probably standard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bumping this to ask for any more current experiences with The Spokesman. His van mentions TheSpokesman.ie website but I can't find any sign of the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I've used him for a couple of repairs and he also has done a deal where I work to come on site once a year as well. Have to say I've been happy with the service, genuinely one of the nicest people I've met in Dublin as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Actually, it looks like the website is working! I swear I searched a few days ago and couldn't find anything, but here it is;

https://thespokesman.ie/locations/

I presume you just show up at his starting time to have the best chance of getting the work done during that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

We used him for bike hire for the Great Dublin Bike Ride.

Were very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

Actually, it looks like the website is working! I swear I searched a few days ago and couldn't find anything, but here it is;

https://thespokesman.ie/locations/

I presume you just show up at his starting time to have the best chance of getting the work done during that day?

Yep. His name is Cathal - I've used him for a few bits and bobs that were awkward, or needed to be done well, or I was lazy/incompetent. Always been happy with his work, and usually pleasantly surprised by the charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use him regularly enough, so much to the point he doesn't always charge me, or charges less than he ought to.

He's a gent, and he take card payments now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Cathal does be around eastpoint on a Wednesday, Canal Tuesday and you'll also find him in Dun Laoghaire on a Sunday in the summer. I don't get anything done by him as I'm a former bike mechanic myself but I've bought the odd bit and Bob from him. I talk to him quite a bit in eastpoint and he's a lovely chap. Very pleasant and most certainly not a rip off guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Not to derail the post, but depending on your location for folks in the sticks there's another guy ,
    bike fix.ie..John is his name and he works the M1 dublin to newry ,
    I've no affiliation except that I used him, I bought a groupset on line he came to my location and fitted it and it was an excellent service and very good value for money.
    If this is not ok mods ,please remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Agree about Cathal (The Spokesman) being a very nice and genuine fella. Most of his work is on hybrids and that sort of thing though, less experience with road bikes. I'd have no hesitation bringing a hybrid to him, but I'd (personally) bring my road bike elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Agree about Cathal (The Spokesman) being a very nice and genuine fella. Most of his work is on hybrids and that sort of thing though, less experience with road bikes. I'd have no hesitation bringing a hybrid to him, but I'd (personally) bring my road bike elsewhere.

Most of his work is on hybrids due to where he is based, ie. heavy commuter areas, IFSC, eastpoint, grand canal and trinity.

Brought him my steel tourer, Italian carbon road bike and alu cx and road bikes and he's been grand with all. Shimano and SRAM too.

The biggest issue is time constraints. As he's in a different place every day he often will only take up to certain jobs, but has offered also to strip and rebuild bikes.

A competent mechanic can work on any type of bike really

Advertisement