Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over coming fear

Options
  • 16-09-2013 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Just wondering,

its being about 3 weeks now since my last open water swim i was doing great,

then one Monday night at a meet up i came in contact with 4 compass jelly fish, wasn't hit by them just about foot away from them one after the other on the way back in, and the thought of getting one across the back or face is putting me off.

I have yet gone back into the water, as i really start to panic when i see them.

has anyone else felt the same way and if so how did they over come it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

To be honest most if not all swimmers have that fear, your not alone. But if I was to think about getting hit every time I get in the sea I'd never get in. I've swam over 20 sea races this year and trained in sea during week days and I didn't get stung once...

Last time I got stung was nearly 3 years ago.. Also to be honest most times when you get stung you don't actually see the main body of the jelly fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Can you get stung under the wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Cork24 wrote: »
    Can you get stung under the wetsuit

Ah no, only areas that are exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I understand the main fear for OW swimmers, even the pros, are jellyfish.
    In Irish waters, they sting you and it hurts but the pain will go after a few minutes.
    This year while doing some OW training, I saw a compass jellyfish and I got out a quick as possible. Another time I saw one I just ignored it and blocked it out. Most times it depends on how you are feeling that day.

Sure some OW swimmers swimming the North Sea spend hours swimming through pods of jellyfish in togs. I think it's mental toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Might sound mad but would you let yourself get stung by a compass, its not that bad and then once you have done it the fear would be gone, still unpleasant but at least the unknown part would be gone. The other thing is to look up the different typres we have, the blue clear turquise ones either moon or blue jelleis wont sting you, compass will but not bad, mauve stingers usually bloom and hurt a bit but usually if you get a load of stings, lions mane get outa there. But they all look class imho and I love they way the move, hypnotic if you stop and look for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement