Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Fernleigh Crescent, Carpenterstown

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I was thinking of moving to a place in fernleigh crescent in carpenterstown. I can't find much about this area online and I was just wondering what it is like?

Is it safe? Is it quite? Is it close to any shops? etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

3 Spars within 15 minutes walk.

Bus stop outside will take you straight up to Blanch Shopping centre in a few minutes, or a short enough 30/40 minute walk.

The area in general tends to be quiet most of the time. Been living in that part of Carpenterstown for 5 years now and haven't really had much disturbances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mary379

Thanks Dravokivich, I appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I'm living on that area from February, everything ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

live in annfield, no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Live nearby in Woodbrook since March, absolutely no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Live in Fernleigh Crescent myself.
    Couldnt wish for a more peaceful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mary379

Thanks everyone for the comments, it has been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Resurrecting this thread as we're thinking of moving to Fernleigh Crescent. Does anyone know if there are any nice pubs within walking distance to watch a match in? Any other opinions on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Bassfish wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread as we're thinking of moving to Fernleigh Crescent. Does anyone know if there are any nice pubs within walking distance to watch a match in? Any other opinions on the area?

The closest Is Carpenterstown Inn which would probably be considered one of the nicer pubs in Dublin 15. You've also got the Castleknock Hotel behind Fernleigh but I'm not too sure if they'd show the matches in the bar. Also Myos is in Castleknock Village but It would be a bit of a trek. The Clonsilla inn is also about 10 minutes walk away but i wouldn't be a big fan of the place.

I lived in Fernleigh Drive for 2 years. Other than a few house parties that kept you awake all night there was never any bother. Parking was a bit annoying at times. Other that that I'd recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

rockatansky you must have lived next door to me, I apologise :P

Lived in Fernleigh Drive for a bit, couldn't fault the neighborhood, quiet, pretty, bus outside goes straight to the city and Blanch Centre and one to Liffey Valley IIRC? Close to the Millennium Pk which has a lovely playground, actually there's another playground closer, by Woodbrook. The Carpenterstown Inn is within walking distance, and a massively overpriced Spar. On the Drive there was only one parking space per apartment which sucked (especially as our neighbour had a vintage car in ours that he never drove). All in all I'd recommend the area. Lived in Blanch almost all of my life and it's one of the nicest areas to live in.

• Advertisement

^^^^
    Cheers for the info lads, I've heard the carpenter is a nice spot alright. Regarding the parking situation, is it always hard to park around the estate? We have two cats and occasional visitors. Would this make life difficult in Fernleigh Crescent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

^^^^
    Cheers for the info lads, I've heard the carpenter is a nice spot alright. Regarding the parking situation, is it always hard to park around the estate? We have two cats and occasional visitors. Would this make life difficult in Fernleigh Crescent?

No it shouldn't. They mightn't get parking right outside your place but they'll get it a few feet away. There's additional spaces back around by the apartment blocks that are usually free.However it's been 2 years since I lived there so unless its changed since then but is guess its still the same.

Also forgot to mention above, you have the best chipper in Dublin (IMO) down the road from you! The Macaris beside the Carpenter is the best chipper I've ever had. I still drive to it from my current location, passing 3 other chippers on the way. Well worth the 10 minute journey!

(Just to clarify I don't work for them but I'm certainly guilty of giving them plenty of money over the past 4 years)

No it shouldn't. They mightn't get parking right outside your place but they'll get it a few feet away. There's additional spaces back around by the apartment blocks that are usually free.However it's been 2 years since I lived there so unless its changed since then but is guess its still the same.

Also forgot to mention above, you have the best chipper in Dublin (IMO) down the road from you! The Macaris beside the Carpenter is the best chipper I've ever had. I still drive to it from my current location, passing 3 other chippers on the way. Well worth the 10 minute journey!

(Just to clarify I don't work for them but I'm certainly guilty of giving them plenty of money over the past 4 years)

Ha, nice one, good to have all the essential amenities nearby :-) Cheers for the advice Bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Hi folks,

Thought I might give this a bump as we're looking at moving into Fernleigh too.

Have done a lot of drive throughs and laps of the area, seems like a great spot.

Presume it's still all good? Mary379, Bassfish, how did the move go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

still happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Out of curiosity what do you put on your address there. Its not really Carpenterstown. Its either Porterstown or Astagob. or Diswellstown by the townland map. Locals would probably call it Diswellstown. I've never heard Astagob used. Looking at an post they seem happy with Fernleigh,D.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Looking at the maps, I'd say Fernleigh is split between the old townlands of Porterstown and Annfield whereas the Luttrellstown estate is in Diswellstown. Bramley / Laverna / Sycamore appear to be in Carpenterstown. Nowadays, Carpenterstown is often used generally to describe lands (or perhaps developments) stretching from Laurel Lodge to Riverwood / Fernleigh. Anyway, its easier to refer to the entire area as Castleknock ;)

I'd never refer to Fernleigh as Carpenterstown. Maybe I'm too familar with the area.

Everything is in the Barony of Castleknock, can't go wrong with that. LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleknock_(barony)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd never refer to Fernleigh as Carpenterstown. Maybe I'm too familar with the area.

Everything is in the Barony of Castleknock, can't go wrong with that. LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleknock_(barony)

I'm a complete foreigner to the area so have no idea. The estate agent called it Castleknock but that doesn't seem right.

UPC and Dominos will tell you it's Carpenterstown.

Once the Pizza arrives, thats the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I always called it carpenterstown, feels a little too close to clonsilla to call it castleknock!

Closer to Porterstown tbh.

The townlands don't make a lot of sense anymore in some locations. For example they are pre-date things like canals and motorways and bridges Which are now more logical physical boundaries in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Regarding the parking situation, is it always hard to park around the estate? We have two cats and occasional visitors. Would this make life difficult in Fernleigh Crescent?
    Would a Cat Flap help? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Really nice area nearly living here almost two years would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kiferea

We are living in Fernleigh for 6 years, very nice and safe area. Very close to train station ( 12 min walk if you know the shortcut :)) , Maynooth train (very reliable) will get you to city centre in 20 min. very safe area to walk around in the evening time. Lovely park very near ( Porterstown park), shops and buses at your doorsteps. A number of schools near the area. Few nice lovely places to eat and to get a drink - Carpenterstown Pub, Castleknock hotel, Wrights Anglers Rest. Blanchardstown SC is very near too. Never had any problems with car parking. The houses/ apartments are very well built as well.

Advertisement