Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question - what is this called??

Options
  • 16-09-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Ive googled it also, and cant seem to find the info I am looking for.

Feel stupid asking this question, but when you have a website called say boards.ie and you click on a link on the main page and the web address is then boards.ie/example and so on, what is this called?? I thought it was a sub page but it seems not?!
    Its coming off the one domain, so am I right to assume there is no extra cost in the /example web name?

Trying to educate myself in the world of web design purely for personal interest.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

it's called "URL" and basically can point to another page, folder, or actually anywhere else
    and yes, you can set up multiple pages, and put each of them onto separate /location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Thank you for replying.
    I am talking about the forward slash part of the website. If I have 10 links on my site for a user to click on example
    boards.ie/example
    boards.ie/aboutus
    boards.ie/contact us
    what is this part of the page called (the forward slash part)?
    I only have to pay for the design of these pages, not a cost per each /pagename?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

think of it as folders (as in "My Computer"), every /example **may** represent another folder in which you can keep a page/another site/files etc. and no, you don't have to pay for it as long as you are below your hosting account quota.
    and there's nothing stopping you from nesting deeper, such as example.com/mysites/personal/site2 etc.
    hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

mel123 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.
    I am talking about the forward slash part of the website. If I have 10 links on my site for a user to click on example
    boards.ie/example
    boards.ie/aboutus
    boards.ie/contact us
    what is this part of the page called (the forward slash part)?
    I only have to pay for the design of these pages, not a cost per each /pagename?

Technically I think what you're talking about would be called the path, in terms of which part of the URL it is (as opposed to the protocol, host, and port). Not sure if that helps towards your actual goal in asking the question, mind

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

It's known as the "path" to the files on your server. If you have boards.ie/example/index.php then the /example/ is known as a directory or folder. The index.php is the name of a file in that folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

thanks for the replies guys, its exacly what i need to know

Advertisement