Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alfresco on CentOS - Help welcomed

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed and run Alfresco on CentOS. Specifically I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has got it to run reliably on a VPS with 1 GB RAM.

I know it says it needs 1GB of RAM to run, but I'm hoping there may be ways to disable modules which allow it to run on slightly less, to avoid me having to shell out for a 2GB VPS.

The applications installed fine, and also appear to run fine for a while, but eventually the Tomcat server just seems to stop responding completely and the Alfresco services need to be restarted. I believe it may be memory related, but I'm lost in the Tomcat logs, as I've never used it before, I'm more used to standard Apache logs.

If anyone has any insights, I'd love to hear them. I'm comfortable administering stuff from the CLI and with Linux admin in general, but this one has me wondering where to start.

Thanks and regards,
    Stefan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Hi Stefan,

I have it running on a 1GB openvz as a demo but its dreadful in performance and dying quite often due to memory issues. Since its using a DB, java and tomcat (catalina) you seriously should give it at least 1,5G for productive usage, with more than 5 concurrent users even more. If you have a proper vps provider try to get something with 1.5G and burstable to 2.5G. That should catch spikes in usage.

For logs, a starting point would be for example /opt/alfresco-4.2.c/tomcat/logs/catalina.out (or where ever you have your catalina logs stored) since the /var/log/messages will tell you only that the service went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much what I was expected, but thanks for the confirmation. I may try to run on a 2GB VPS for a PoC and look at long term solutions after.

Advertisement