Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen gadget dilemma

Options
  • 16-09-2013 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hiya

Would anyone be able to recommend a REASONABLY priced but good stand food mixers please?

Baking is my passion and my de-stressor! But I need a bit of advice from someone who has more baking experience than me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/blenders+mixers/grundig-die-cast-stand-mixer/invt/053401
    Very good mixer for the price, have one since Christmas 2012 and it's great, comes with an extra mixing bowl and 3 attachments (beater, whisk, dough hook), delighted with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 su77oneill

Thanks for that dee_mc. Sounds like a great mixer. I'll check out the website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I've got that mixer as well, spent years lusting after a kitchenaid and broke many many hand helds whilst holding out but just couldn't get the €500 plus to buy it. Very happy with the Grundig, its really solid and the price is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Electric-Stunning-Cookbook/dp/B008820EY4/

Gets great reviews, and seems to have a spec of much more expensive mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

+ 1 for the Grundig. My very thoughtful family bought it for my birthday and I love it. Can't believe how I baked without it. It's fantastic for bread as well as cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

jos28 wrote: »
    + 1 for the Grundig. My very thoughtful family bought it for my birthday and I love it. Can't believe how I baked without it. It's fantastic for bread as well as cakes.
    Great to hear, haven't used ours for bread yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Kenwood Chef gets my vote, I managed to pick one up for €99 (more or less half price for the KM330 model) in a HN sale, the reviews on Kenwood mixers are what did it for me, people who have the same on since the 70's / 80's that are still in regular use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I have a Kenwood since the early 80's and have used it and abused it and it is still going strong. It was quite expensive in the 80's but has obviously lasted the test of time so far.

it's comments like that one ^ that made me go with the kenwood ;) the grundig's beautiful, but has a low enough wattage 450, mine's 800 watts & the andrew james one a massive 1500 watts.

This is worth a read: http://housewares.about.com/od/mixers/bb/buyingastandmixer.htm

It seems to recommend a min 600 watts (I was told not to buy anything under 500 watts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The Grundig is 500w whereas the Kenwood is more powerful (the Andrew James one is 1500w). The extra strain on the weaker motor will necessitate a replacement in the short-term. I'm saving my pennies for a Kenwood and making do with a handheld until I can buy what I know should last for 50 years. My cousin binned her mother's Kenwood because it was old. I could have shot her.

• Advertisement

was posting at the same time as you Dubl07 :D both of us about wattage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have a kenwood too. It was a wedding pressie, and over the years christmas pressies have brought some of the optional attachments. I also inherited my grandmothers kenwood... which my brother has now. It is easily the most worked thing in my house. It gets used several times a day. Orange squeezer every day. The grinder for spices. Dough hook for bread (every second day). I cook in bulk usually, the food processor thing chops 2kg of onions a load faster than me. Slicing spuds for a gratin. I even mince meat with it. Liquidizer bit for soups or smoothies. Plus baking. I had it packed in a box for 6 months when we were moving house and I felt like someone had robbed one of my arms.

They are built to last, but priced accordingly to be honest. I would not call them reasonably priced unless you get one on sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

its so hard to get a second hand kitchen aid?? does anyone know where you could get one?

Advertisement