Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial van as a camper

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi all recently iv been looking for a camper however i am only 21 so no insurance company will insure me until im over 25 .
    so my other option is to get a small commercial van and convert it to a camper like a nissan vanette now thats all well and good but heres the questions ....
    in having a commercial an as a camper without registering it as on will i have problems with the guards ? problems with putting it through doe or will i have to strip it for that purpose ?
    she will go be commercially taxed and privately insured and doe'd ? is there any problems with this ?

the main reason i want a camper is because i travel around alot im pretty much in a new county every week but its just not cost effective paying insurance tax and nct on a car while also paying for short term accommodation .

please help guys ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

One problem is that you can only use a Commercially taxed vehicle for business purposes. You would have to get private tax on it to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nexus175

thanks very much for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hilarious, you cant get insured on a camper, but you could go out and get insured on a m3,m5 in five mins... can someone explain that to me please?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I dont know if you can do this, but I would strongly advise against it. Having worked for several insurance companies , I can tell you that they (ins co) are a bunch of weasels. They will happily take your money, but if you try and make a claim, they will use any excuse to not pay (eg modifications made after insurance accepted, commercial used as private, its really a camper van!)

Advertisement