Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT - Leaking domestic oil tank

Options
  • 15-09-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I have a domestic oil tank which is leaking underground. The tank outlet is similiar to picture below but without the isolating valve to left of picture!

royal-oil-tank-gauge-600x480_zps4c811fba.jpg

Can anyone please tell me how I can isolate this and stop all the oil leaking? Is it the twist knob at 45 degrees underneath or the vertical nut to the right of the picture?

TIA, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I have a domestic oil tank which is leaking underground. The tank outlet is similiar to picture below but without the isolating valve to left of picture!

royal-oil-tank-gauge-600x480_zps4c811fba.jpg

Can anyone please tell me how I can isolate this and stop all the oil leaking? Is it the twist knob at 45 degrees underneath or the vertical nut to the right of the picture?

TIA, Paul

It should be the valve at 45 degrees the vertical one should be for the sight gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

The left hand valve is the on/off valve. Turn it so it is perpendicular to the pipe. The right hand is just a push button to read the level of oil in the tank.
    The bottom 45 angle is just a strainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    The left hand valve is the on/off valve. Turn it so it is perpendicular to the pipe. The right hand is just a push button to read the level of oil in the tank.
    The bottom 45 angle is just a strainer.

Sorry to disagree but the bottom part at 45 angle is a valve also, screw / turn it clockwise up to valve to turn off.

Mesh filter is at the end near the hex female outlet on the right hand side of the photo.

Slightly different valve compaired to the previous type that did have a filter at 45 degrees .

+ he did say in BIG PRINT that he does not have the valve on the left of photo.

Specsavers add comeing up at bottom of posts I hope !

That would be a laugh if it did.

I didn't know that. Never used those type so I assumed it was a strainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks guys:).

Shane0007, as scudo2 pointed out, I don't (unfortunately!) have the valve on left.

The one at 45 degrees below does have a twist knob which was turned fully anticlockwise. I have turned this fully clockwise but I've no real way of verifying whether this has turned off the flow of oil or not (short of opening up the outlet pipe which I'd rather not do).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Thanks guys:).

Shane0007, as scudo2 pointed out, I don't (unfortunately!) have the valve on left.

The one at 45 degrees below does have a twist knob which was turned fully anticlockwise. I have turned this fully clockwise but I've no real way of verifying whether this has turned off the flow of oil or not (short of opening up the outlet pipe which I'd rather not do).

Undo nut on oil pipe slowly and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

I didn't know that. Never used those type so I assumed it was a strainer.

honest to god but when I read that i froze with shock :D

gifted wrote: »
    honest to god but when I read that i froze with shock :D

Don't worry, it won't last.
    After all there is only one thing that I don't know... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Don't worry, it won't last.
    After all there is only one thing that I don't know... ;-)

Shane Is it not a case of what you don't know isn't worth knowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I didn't know that.

:eek:

Really a topic that should be stickied for eternity :D

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

:eek:

Really a topic that should be stickied for eternity :D

;)

+1

It happens sometimes. Now I know it's a very very rare occasion, but keep the faith guys, we can all sleep well at night knowing there is room for improvement within us all....

Advertisement