Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance help!

Options
  • 15-09-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My partner and I are currently in talks with his family about moving into his grandmother's empty property, rent-free, in order to give us time to save for a deposit to buy a house of our own. We are unsure as to what type of insurance we need in this case, as technically we aren't tenants (as we won't be paying rent), but it is not our house so we cannot buy owner occupied insurance. Could anyone suggest what we should do? I will be going to speak to an insurance broker this week but if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

The owner should insurance the house for fire and rebuild costs and tenant should insure their own contents. ..imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The owner of the house should take out landlord's insurance which will include liability insurance to you as occupier. It is not essential that you pay an actual rent, the consideration in your arrangement is that the cost to you is to occupy and maintain the property

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

To answer your question OP, Doom is correct. You should obtain contents insurance to cover your possessions. The owners of the property need to insure their interest (that being the property and their contents.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

MugMugs wrote: »
    To answer your question OP, Doom is correct. You should obtain contents insurance to cover your possessions. The owners of the property need to insure their interest (that being the property and their contents.)

And the owners interest also includes the duty of care owed to occupiers of their property, which is the point I raised

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

oldyouth wrote: »
    And the owners interest also includes the duty of care owed to occupiers of their property, which is the point I raised

OP had asked about their requirements and I had not seen your response before posting......

• Advertisement
Advertisement