Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is 4G being released here?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering when are Meteor releasing 4G in Ireland?

Anyone any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

They are testing it at the moment. All depends on where you live as only the major cities will have it at the start. Their current statement which was updated only 3 weeks ago so can't be too far off is by the end of the summer (so probably Christmas). I think they are aiming for 70% coverage which would be all the major cities by March 2014 (so probably October).

I think you just have to take the date they say, add a few months to it and cross your fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I don't know what to do, I currently have a dumb phone. I need to get a smartphone with a while now, but I keep holding off because I do not want to get stuck into a 24 month contract on 3G and then have 4G being released a few days after I sign the contract

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A lot of the new phones support 4G, and more than likely you can upgrade your "package" for 4G data.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

Tomorrow apparently in Dublin Carlow and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Nice just read it on RTE site, hopefully it lives up to the hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

According to the RTE news tonight its being rolled out in Dublin, Carlow and Athlone. Which seems a bit random, thought it would hit the major cities first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Shazer01 wrote: »
    Tomorrow apparently in Dublin Carlow and Galway.

:eek: shocked but happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Meteor have updated their site:

Bill Pay 4G plans
    To get 4G, you'll need a 4G ready phone, 4G coverage and a 4G plan.
    We have amazing 4G plans with unlimited calls and texts and loads of internet. Pick a phone plan and choose from our great range of 4G phones or, if you already have a 4G phone, pick a great value 4G SIM only plan.
    Plus, get unlimited internet until March 2014 on all these plans

MEGA SIMO 4G:
    €30.00 /month
    €30.00 in store
    unlimited mins
    unlimited texts
    1GB internet
    Free Meteor calls & texts
    1 month SIM only contract

ESSENTIAL 4G:
    €49.00 /month
    €49.00 in store
    unlimited mins
    unlimited texts
    3GB internet
    24 month contract

CLASSIC 4G:
    €59.00 /month
    €59.00 in store
    unlimited mins
    unlimited texts
    6GB internet
    24 month contract

https://store.meteor.ie/4g/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ouch, and O2 made such a big fanfare last month about trialling their 4G network for a few hand-picked business customers in Dublin.

Meteor have well and truly got the jump on everyone here. If it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Moar Speedtests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Those data allowances are pretty crap considering the potential or even actual speed you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The caps are probably conservatively set. The unlimited data until next year is probably to encourage people to use the service without fear so that Meteor can see what "typical" 4G usage looks like and set appropriate data caps based on that.

Perhaps your right but in this day and age data should be unlimited within reason with Netflix etc unless your taking the compete piss Wh torrents and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

so if i upgraded to a 4g plan i'm paying 4 euro more for 2GB less data....makes sense:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Those allowances are shocking. Currently paying 35 for unlimited calls texts and 15gb with meteor - not giving that up. Didn't think we'd see 4g contracts here, it's the type of nickel and diming you get from American telecos. Data should be data regardless of whether it's edge, hsdpa or 4g.

Perhaps someone can clarify this, but doesn't netflix automatically kick up to hd at 8mb.if so you could use up you're entire allowance in an hour of two. Lack time I check the low quality option was extremely low bit rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Am I missing something? EMobile have a EUR 24 / month SIM only 4G plan. 1 month contract. It includes:

Unlimited minutes and texts to any network
    Unlimited calls to all landlines
    Unlimited calls and texts to eMobile & Meteor
    Plus 5GB of data - now with unlimited data til 1st March 2014
    Unlimited data is about 15 EUR/month extra.

Is that not good value?

Why anyone would take their alternative 24 month contract with the above SIM only available, I don't know. Ok you get a discounted/free phone but over the life time of the contract it would probably be cheaper to buy the phone outright and go SIM only 1 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Am I missing something? EMobile have a EUR 24 / month SIM only 4G plan. 1 month contract. It includes:

Unlimited minutes and texts to any network
    Unlimited calls to all landlines
    Unlimited calls and texts to eMobile & Meteor
    Plus 5GB of data - now with unlimited data til 1st March 2014
    Unlimited data is about 15 EUR/month extra.

Is that not good value?

Why anyone would take their alternative 24 month contract with the above SIM only available, I don't know. Ok you get a discounted/free phone but over the life time of the contract it would probably be cheaper to buy the phone outright and go SIM only 1 month contract.

Only for Eircom customers.

Only for Eircom customers.

Confirmed today that it is for Non-Eircom and Eircom customers.

Confirmed today that it is for Non-Eircom and Eircom customers.

But how much for non EIRCOM customers ?

long_b wrote: »
    But how much for non EIRCOM customers ?

?? 24 Euro - as per my original post.

To be sure, I enquired twice today. Pseudo conversation(s):

"Can non-Eircom customers sign up to the 24/month 1 month SIM only plan"
    "Yes"
    "You are sure?"
    "Yes"
    "And it's 24 EUR a month for a non-eircom customer"
    "Yes"

The only reason I didn't take up the offer today is because I'm in contract for another month.
    Perhaps someone else can ring or contact them to confirm. It is Eircom, so pinch of salt and all that.

• Advertisement

?? 24 Euro - as per my original post.

To be sure, I enquired twice today. Pseudo conversation(s):

"Can non-Eircom customers sign up to the 24/month 1 month SIM only plan"
    "Yes"
    "You are sure?"
    "Yes"
    "And it's 24 EUR a month for a non-eircom customer"
    "Yes"

The only reason I didn't take up the offer today is because I'm in contract for another month.
    Perhaps someone else can ring or contact them to confirm. It is Eircom, so pinch of salt and all that.

Well that sounds great.

Tried to sign up online choosing the "Do you want a new phone?: No" optoin

I get
    "We're sorry but you have selected a bill pay plan (eMobile Unlimited+ data (1 month SIM only)), and therefore you must choose a phone."

If you go back and and choose "Do you want a new phone?: Yes" you get
    Sorry, no phones are currently in stock, matching your options.

Snookered !

I had a problem when signing up to the unlimited plan when it was 34.50 EUR. Had to give sales a ring to sort it. Maybe give them a ring long_b? It would be nice to know I was given correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I am on the €35 a month unlimited plan with Emobile.

I rang emobile about 4g and was told that, if I already had a 4g phone, I could simply swap the sim to a new 4g one and stay on my current plan and current monthly cost.

Then I go to their website and they are saying on there that you need a new 4g plan.

But there is nothing comparable to the €35 deal that a lot of us are on i.e. the unlimted calls, texts, landlines and 15gigs.

Anyone tried to get 4g that is currently on this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i am a current emobile customer and rang to enquire about the €24 unlimited plan. its deffo for eircom customers only, and cos i'm not it'll cost me €55 to go on it.

meteor have a €30 per month sim only 4g plan with 1gb of data (unlimited till march 2014) that i'm thinking of swtiching to.

Thanks 120_Minutes. I'm heading into a branch tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

i am a current emobile customer and rang to enquire about the €24 unlimited plan. its deffo for eircom customers only, and cos i'm not it'll cost me €55 to go on it.

meteor have a €30 per month sim only 4g plan with 1gb of data (unlimited till march 2014) that i'm thinking of swtiching to.

It makes no sense even according to their current prices on the 3g plans. The equivalent price of the €24 plan as you say is €54 for non eircom customers. That's some difference! (Maybe because they have so few eircom customers left they can do this :P)

For the lot of us on the unlimited any network minutes, landlines and texts €35 plan with 15gigs of data they ain't going to be moving any of us on this basis.

For the lot of us on the unlimited any network minutes, landlines and texts €35 plan with 15gigs of data they ain't going to be moving any of us on this basis.

Yup - so they told me on the phone. Can't "upgrade" to the 49 euro plan cos I'm technically on a 75 euro plan (albeit with a huge discount)

The website has been fixed. It appears you do not have to be an eircom customer to avail of the EUR24/month Unlimited+ data 30 days SIM only plan. Is this the best value plan on the market?

Edit: spoke too soon it seems!

The website has been fixed. It appears you do not have to be an eircom customer to avail of the EUR24/month Unlimited+ datbash!a 30 days SIM only plan. Is this the best value plan on the market?

Does this price go up in March then I wonder or does just the data allowance change.

It's€8 cheaper than sim unlimited plan?!

Edit: You can't sign up without an eircom number. you can compete the form but then says session timed out and in small writing it looks for an eircom account. Bah!

• Advertisement
Advertisement