Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Course with Open University! Help!

Options
  • 15-09-2013 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey Everybody,

Long time Looker, First time Poster!

Basically I am thinking very hard about doing a Law Degree with the Open University.

I have experienced College life already (UCC) and being on campus is not necessary for me! I have done my share of societies and 'parties'.

Distance Learning would really suit my lifestyle, working around work etc.

My question is, If I do this Law degree will it be recognised and credited in the Republic of Ireland?

I do not want to waste so much money and time for nothing!

Also, I presume you pay per module? If I hypothetically took 2 years to do that module, I wouldn't be rushed into paying for the second module until I am starting it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Live long and prosper :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have a set time to do a module - taking two years is not possible. Unless your modules are replaced they stay valid for a long time and there is never pressure to start another.

Whether the degree is recognized here or not I don't know but our legal system is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

it depends on what you mean by 'is it recognised here?' An llb in common law is an llb, as far as that goes, and is a useful thing to have in many walks of life.
    It depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to proceed to Kings Inn (Barrister) or do the FE1s (solicitor) then you would be better off doing a degree in ireland, as not all of the required topics are covered by a British Degree.

if you are just looking for an LLB and are not concerned about progressing down one of the routes listed above, you should check out the University of London External LLB as an alternative to the OU. It is far far cheaper, with far far less teaching support. They have a graduate route also which is a shorter route to the LLB

Advertisement