Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Html web developer jobs?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, I just started a degree in Managment of IT in business and am just wondering if there are actually jobs out there for only html xhtml xml web developer ? As they seem to be the only languages in my course with a bit of java nothing too heavy i dont think, theres also a multimedia module

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

'html integrator' would be such a job. This job involves creating pages that look and behave as required on the different browsers, screens, email, print etc.

You would need to know at least css also, and it would be useful to know some basic JavaScript and image editing program such as Photoshop. You might do this in the multi-media module.

I would think that there are not a lot of html integrator roles out there. Where I work, the IT department consists of one to two hundred people, with only one html intergrator.

You mention xml also, but possibly just becasue xhtml is xml. If ye do look at xml, ye might also do some xslt, which if often used to transform xml data for use in html pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Hi, I just started a degree in Managment of IT in business and am just wondering if there are actually jobs out there for only html xhtml xml web developer ? As they seem to be the only languages in my course with a bit of java nothing too heavy i dont think, theres also a multimedia module

Not just for HTML, because its so simple, its technically not even a language. However if you are good with javascript, there is plenty of highly paid work around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Whats wrong with java?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

MOC88 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with java?

Nothing, we just dont go too in depth on it, I havent even started that module actually, well Im kinda afarid of them programming laungages as I hear you need to have pretty good math skills

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

I haven't seen any HTML only jobs in a long time. If you add JavaScript and PHP or Java, you'll have a lot more options. A lot of IT companies seem to be looking for German speakers, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Nothing, we just dont go too in depth on it, I havent even started that module actually, well Im kinda afarid of them programming laungages as I hear you need to have pretty good math skills

Only if you go a certain way with it. Doing web development with Java requires primary school level maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Nope - only if you're doing graphics. Normal programming is simple logic that you'll need to grasp anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Lbeard

jma wrote: »
    A lot of IT companies seem to be looking for German speakers, by the way.

That sounds like multi-lingual tele support.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Lbeard wrote: »
    That sounds like multi-lingual tele support.

It's not really. It's a large variety of different positions. I was recently offered a position by 2 of the biggest multinational Internet companies at their respective Ireland HQs. One was a developer role and the other was for their legal department (German-speaking, developer background, no legal experience required).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd say develop your skills in HTML and JavaScript. Work on Java, then I would suggest branching out into other development languages such as C#.NET and ASP.

Are you running a webserver like Apache? It would be useful to learn and have to test your own sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd say develop your skills in HTML and JavaScript. Work on Java, then I would suggest branching out into other development languages such as C#.NET and ASP.

Are you running a webserver like Apache? It would be useful to learn and have to test your own sites.

I enjoy html so hopefully i will enjoy the java part, and no not yet that could be in web development, i will join the comp soc tomorrow and that will give me some extra learning. How quick can one usually pick up another programming launguage after learning java would you wrecking ?

Advertisement