Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the North so Homophobic?

Options
  • 14-09-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

It turns out that a NI Assembly member is using tax payers money to get the UK Supreme Court to allow the block on same sex adoption to remain in. Also the North has no plans for gay marriage (unlike the rest or Ireland and the UK) and you get people like Paisley ranting on Question Time about how homosexuals are disgusting to him.

Whats the reason for this? The rest of Ireland is alright with LGBT people (mostly) I heard there was a referendum next year , and compared to say England which actually has gay marriage in law from next year.

I just wonder why things turn out like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Small minded bigotry an unfortunate part of the culture. An "us vs them" mentality where the two aren't seen to be able to coexist, whatever the us and them flavours of the day are. Racism is a disproportionately large problem in NI too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because its extremely heavily religious compared to any other part of the UK and to the Republic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In the North, you have deeply religious/socially conservative factions on each side of the divide. Add to that the extra baggage from over the years that has entrenched those views deeply in a lot of people. Couple that to the fact that due to the troubles those factions became large, political and social players by various means and have big grassroots support. All this means that you end up which a much more conservative society as a whole (ironic, as most of the players hate each others guts but share many of the same beliefs).

It's not as bad as it was: but it will take a lot longer for things to shake out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Siege mentality. They love to feel beleaguered. No, they need to feel beleaguered; it's part of their identity, and if can't see themselves as a righteous minority under threat then they feel deeply insecure, because they no longer know who they are. Hence, anyone who is in any way different is automatically slotted into the category of "threatening enemy".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The ironic thing is that lgbt social spaces are one of the very few places where people from Catholic or Nationalist backgrounds mix with Protestant or Unionist backgrounds

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

The ironic thing is that lgbt social spaces are one of the very few places where people from Catholic or Nationalist backgrounds mix with Protestant or Unionist backgrounds

Sigh that seems to be 95% of the North's problems, two communities that won't speak to each other due to religion.

I guess its Ironic in a way since some Catholics and Protestants both view LGBT people with disdain as the equal marriage debate across the sea in England proved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

due to religion.
    A different and difficult topic maybe, but I've always considered the catholic/protestant religion thing just an unfortunate media-friendly and rabble-rousing shorthand for what is (was?) a far more real world and political based struggle.

"Are ye protestant or catholic?"
    "Neither actually, I'm atheist"
    "Protestant atheist or catholic atheist?!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Goodshape wrote: »
    A different and difficult topic maybe, but I've always considered the catholic/protestant religion thing just an unfortunate media-friendly and rabble-rousing shorthand for what is (was?) a far more real world and political based struggle.

"Are ye protestant or catholic?"
    "Neither actually, I'm atheist"
    "Protestant atheist or catholic atheist?!?"

Protestant gay or catholic gay?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

because they are as right wing as parts of the states

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

The North will always be the North, to much time is wasted trying to get them to get along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I went to Belfast Pride and I walked under the Fianna Fáil banner. Sinn Féin were there too as were the NI Conservatives. It seems very much to be that its okay to be an out gay republican, but extremely difficult for gay unionists.

The valid point has already been made that it's one of the few cross community cultural subsets where "which side" you're from is irrelevant.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I went to Belfast Pride and I walked under the Fianna Fáil banner. Sinn Féin were there too as were the NI Conservatives. It seems very much to be that its okay to be an out gay republican, but extremely difficult for gay unionists.

The valid point has already been made that it's one of the few cross community cultural subsets where "which side" you're from is irrelevant.

Which is ironic considering the rest of the UK which the Unionists want to be part of is very accepting of LGBT people.

Its the opposite of Scotland, the Nationalists there are homophobic (look at Soulter who bankrolls the SNP he is deeply homophobic)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rider

Also remember that only the bad bits (such as a lunatic politician on an agenda or homophobic attacks) make the press. I've yet to see a news bulletin reporting "Two lads caught holding hands on Royal Ave" or "Girl kisses girl at bus stop" - yet I have seen both. Generally speaking, most people (in the nicest possible way) do not give a ***t about you - you are free to do as you please. I have found Belfast to be particularly 'tolerant' - though I hate that phrase in this context.

It's not as bad as they'd have you believe!

rider wrote: »
    Also remember that only the bad bits (such as a lunatic politician on an agenda or homophobic attacks) make the press. I've yet to see a news bulletin reporting "Two lads caught holding hands on Royal Ave" or "Girl kisses girl at bus stop" - yet I have seen both. Generally speaking, most people (in the nicest possible way) do not give a ***t about you - you are free to do as you please. I have found Belfast to be particularly 'tolerant' - though I hate that phrase in this context.

It's not as bad as they'd have you believe!

I guess you have a point, its just seeing someone like Paisley who was democratically elected as their representative makes it easy to think that way.

I just remember being so happy at Dublin Pride (first since I emigrated to Ireland) and having to go to Belfast soon after made me feel apprehensive.

In Dublin, I have held my boyfriend's hands in public, a couple of people (like this lovely elderly couple) said we seem like a lovely or cute couple. I just can't see that happening in Belfast.

Maybe I am just being prejudice

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kalmanon2

It is true that both sides are somewhat staunch in the north, but having grown up as a Bi Catholic in the North (admittedly with my own prejudices), I have generally found that Unionists are generally more sectarian/racist/homophobic - either due to "religious" or "political" reasons, or due to a lack of education - but the conflict itself has led to a greater intolerance to difference on all sides than you might see in other parts of Ireland or the UK :(

Advertisement