Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Mini Cooper S - Cold Start Sounds Like Diesel

Options
  • 14-09-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

i bought a 2008 mini cooper s with 72K miles on clock 3 weeks ago, i got a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty

after a week of ownership i noticed when i cold started the car in the morning that the engine sounded like a diesel car between rev range of 1500-2000RPM, it would sound rough for a couple a minutes and then go away. would not return until the next morning until the car was started again.

took it back to the dealer, and they diagnosed that they heard it but it maybe was just a non issue. i wanted it fixed so they sent it to a BMW indy specalist who replaced the tensioner for an updated version which was released in 2010.

ive had the car back two days and both mornings now the noise is back again, its not as loud as before but still there, same as above.

from my googling of the symptoms it seems to be a fairly widespread problem, its coined as the "death rattle" and apparently can cause issue with tensioner,sprockets,guide rails,and the timing chain itself

ive taken it in today to a main bmw/mini dealer and have it booked in for a diagnosis next week.

can anyone offer some advice/opinion on the above?

i have a feeling i may run into issues when i report back to the dealer i purchased from

Advertisement