Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pint Of Guinness in Kilkenny (City and County)

Options
  • 14-09-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm sure its been asked before but apart from Smithwicks i cant find a recent 'Best Pints' Thread for Kilkenny, in particular for Guinness. I've never realy drank Guinness anywhere exept the local so where's the best pint of black stuff you've had in KK.

I'll start by getting this out of the way,

''The worlds end'', hahahahahahah.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Best pint of Guinness in KK is undoubtedly the Nore Bar, smashing pub.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Best pint of Guinness in KK is undoubtedly the Nore Bar, smashing pub.

I love that bar, pints are excellent as is the service. In no particular order, Nore bar, Reidy's and Doherty's for me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Lenehans, great pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

always being told it is doherty's near the cinema. never in there myself but that is meant to be the best something to do with the kegs being under the taps

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Thanks, may try some of those, now that the cold weather isn't far off the Guinness will be back on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

not a guiness drinker but always heard that the Tholsel on high st had a great pint - like dohertys the story was because the cellar was very deep and kept the kegs naturally cool or something,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Surely if pipes equipment etc are well maintained they are all going to be much of a muchness.

personally - the athmosphere, mood, comfort levels etc etc in a pub can contribute as much to a great pint than the actually quality of the beer...obviously a bad pint is a bad pint whereevr its served but sometimes a good pint can seem a bit more special if all the other boxes are ticked..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

biddy early's has by far the best pint in the area,i have got a few duds in other places though.

Edit...The harp bar has the worst. :cool:

Surely if pipes equipment etc are well maintained they are all going to be much of a muchness.

You would think so, but the quality of Guinness varies wildly from place to place, despite the best efforts of the Guinness quality teams that travel the country checking taps, lines etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Reidy's

All to do with keeping the pipes clean

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brewery Corner on Parliament Street do the best stout in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

irish_goat wrote: »
    Brewery Corner on Parliament Street do the best stout in Kilkenny.

BUT not Guinness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

clivej wrote: »
    BUT not Guinness

Well he did ask where the best pint of black stuff was. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you like Guinness it's worth trying different brands of Stout - the O'Hara's is lovely.

sorry complete tangent but have to get it in...Im not a big stout drinker.....(Im quiet a slim man!!)sorry.....anyway...however..I tried the porter house Oyster stout recently and think its one of the nicest beers I have ever tasted..defo worth a try IMO..tangent over....(they have it in the brewery corner by the way...my new favourite pub in KK...which opened the week I moved to the UK:()

Rantan wrote: »
    sorry complete tangent but have to get it in...Im not a big stout drinker.....(Im quiet a slim man!!)sorry.....anyway...however..I tried the porter house Oyster stout recently and think its one of the nicest beers I have ever tasted..defo worth a try IMO..tangent over....(they have it in the brewery corner by the way...my new favourite pub in KK...which opened the week I moved to the UK:()

Continuing tangent that's a lovely pint, first had it in the Porterhouse pub in Covent Garden at the start of the year.

Love the Brewery Corner here, nice beer and though not a cider drinker, they do a really nice bottled cider there which names escapes me.

sorry - another tangent - maybe relevant to this thread though- just reading that Wetherspoons are opening in ireland - bad news if you ask me...love the uniqueness of ireish pubs and the fact that no two are the same - - there are lots of super pubs over here also but the "chain pubs" arent great and dilute the quality- anyone have an opinion on it? is it good or bad?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cheap Booze?

I think the start of the pub crawl in the film The Worlds End tells you what you need to know about Wetherspoons.

• Advertisement

cheap booze...always a good thing,,,,but the older I get the more I appreciate the beauty of "good quality booze" - and the less of it I drink..Personally I would be happy to pay a little more to drink a pint of soemthing nice in a really decent pub over a cheap pint in a mediocre pub....theres loads of cheap booze available in the supermarkets anyway...I love the brahma or the 4 x Leffe for a fiver(?) from lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

To each their own, but it's beyond me why anyone would be on the look out for a 'good pint of Guinness' when there's a full range of O'Hara's being served on draught in KK. And that includes two stouts. Both of them better than Guinness. The world's best kept secret is that Guinness is an average beer.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    To each their own, but it's beyond me why anyone would be on the look out for a 'good pint of Guinness' when there's a full range of O'Hara's being served on draught in KK. And that includes two stouts. Both of them better than Guinness. The world's best kept secret is that Guinness is an average beer.

the coffee and oatmeal stout(or is that Dungarvan??) thats a special beer...
    just realising...theres loadds of stouts i llike...for me its...anything but Guiness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Rantan wrote: »
    the coffee and oatmeal stout(or is that Dungarvan??) thats a special beer...

I've tried their Black Rock Stout. Very nice. I'll keep an eye out for the Oatmeal.

Guinness Extra Stout and Guinness Foreign Extra are nice enough. It's just their draught that's below par.*

Saying that, I'm drinking one right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Hard to beat the Mowler's! Savage pint there tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The best stout I've ever tasted was ABC stout in south east asia, I've never seen it in Europe. 8% alc although I think it's been lowered recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Formosa

phkk wrote: »
    Hard to beat the Mowler's! Savage pint there tbf

I'm fairly sure the Mowler's is now closed, which is a shame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    The best stout I've ever tasted was ABC stout in south east asia, I've never seen it in Europe. 8% alc although I think it's been lowered recently.

Did it go down as easy as 1,2,3?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Did it go down as easy as 1,2,3?

More like Doe - Ray - Me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Formosa wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the Mowler's is now closed, which is a shame.

Yep your right the Mowlers closed a couple of months ago,very sad.

Advertisement