Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making a 2-D platformer

• 14-09-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm not too experienced in this area and was wondering if anyone knew the best programs/libraries to try my hand at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

You could look at Unity. Free game engine (unless you make more than $60,000, in which case you have to upgrade to Pro). You can program in C#, javascript, or unityscript. Also, if you know how to program in java, you pretty much know C#.

There's a 3d platformer tutorial here http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/demo-projects. I know you're looking for 2D, but you can probably learn some useful principles. Chances are there are 2D platformer tutorials on youtube.

Might take a while to get used to a game engine if you've been using a standard IDE, but it's worth the time investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

With regards to Unity, they've recently announced that the next version will support 2D game development. Lots of tools for making games in 2D.
    I'd recommend getting it now and getting used to the interface - you'll be all ready to go then when the next version is released.

Edit: Here's a link: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/08/28/unity-native-2d-tools/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or you could make it simpler on yourself and use Gamemaker. It's a far simpler introduction to game making than unity and deceptively powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

+1 for Gamemaker for a first timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

Gamemaker sounds like a good idea to get started with.

How much coding is involved with it? I don't really want it to be doing all the work for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's pretty easy to get to grips with and has a nice interface. Great tutorials as well. You'll be learning the basics of programming without even realising it. When you want to take your games further it has a scripting language that is easy to learn. For my first game jam I learned it in 2 nights and made a game with it in 8 hours, now I did know coding but it gives you an idea of how easy it is to get into. It's powerful as well, there's quite a few commercial games made in it like Hotline Miami.

I'd agree with the others that Unity isn't the best place to start. Ideally you'd want around two years of college programming (with java, C#, or javascript) or an equivalent amount of self study to avoid significant frustration. Even then, it takes a while to get into.

Was gunpoint made in game maker too?

I think it was. You can add the first version of spelunky to that list as well.

I'd agree with the others that Unity isn't the best place to start. Ideally you'd want around two years of college programming (with java, C#, or javascript) or an equivalent amount of self study to avoid significant frustration. Even then, it takes a while to get into.

I'm still in college at the moment with decent knowledge of all those programming languages but I've gotten out of practice for a little while so didn't want to be thrown in at the deep end like you say.

If you've got knowledge of those languages then might be best to jump into unity. Do a basic tutorial on youtube to get you started then it's pretty easy to write your code for it. It uses the code you write as a script so there's not a whole lot of learning to do. My only problem is that I haven't found Unity that great for 2D development, I'd much rather use a different solution.

• Advertisement

If you do end up trying Unity, have a look at this tutorial. It makes a basic 3d game, taking you through every step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-X-Ebh1kYA

Just a suggestion, but whatever engine you go with, it might be a good idea to spend a few weeks doing tutorials and learning how to use the engine, rather than going straight for the jugular.

If you do end up trying Unity, have a look at this tutorial. It makes a basic 3d game, taking you through every step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-X-Ebh1kYA

Just a suggestion, but whatever engine you go with, it might be a good idea to spend a few weeks doing tutorials and learning how to use the engine, rather than going straight for the jugular.

Thanks for that link, I completely agree with what you're saying. I think I was just trying to jump in head first to get something done and that isn't a good way to get anything done.

I'll get my head down with some tutorials and will come back if I make something worth showing :P

Thanks for the help guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I had absolutely no programming experience going into a game dev course.
    I was put in charge of the unity project and coding for a 2D game project with a group.
    And after 2 weeks I had a 2d side scroller made, high scores, points on kill visually, a game manager script ^^ etc etc
    A lot of pressure, but I forced me to learn the basics fast.

So I have to agree, if you do a basic side scroller in whatever engine with start screen, score, lives etc, you will have quite a lot to work with in 3D after.

I am now doing work experience making a game in GameMaker and picking up HTML5 now too.
    And I might be looking for a coder for a 3D project on the side, I'm doing with a friend from the course for funsies/portfolio/big bucks :D

Advertisement