Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing advice - incorporate range into dual system

Options
  • 14-09-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Looking for advice on how best to plumb a Stanley solid fuel range into my heating system. Im looking for advice from anyone who has experience with a similar system.

I currently have an Oil burner and solid fuel back boiler system which is working grand but the rads are cold in the morning so I need to to run off oil in the morning for the rads. Im hoping to eliminate the need for oil as the heat from the range which will burn overnight will heat the rads for the morn. I have an old Stanley solid fuel range in the kitchen with a boiler, I got it second hand and up to now have not had it plumbed in. The pipework for the existing back boiler runs close to the Range so It should not be a big job to plumb into it.

Im thinking that the flow from the range will run into the attic (single story bungalow) and tie into the flow from the back boiler, the return for the range will come of the return to the back boiler. I will be adding a separate Pump/thermo and shutoffs/pressure blow offs to the new circuit. I also think I should include non return valves to ensure that one boiler is not heating both circuits and to ensure the flow goes in the right direction.

Ill plumb it in so that it can be isolated again if needs be, technically it should be possible to do so I think its worth a go, I have both fire lighting most days so it would make better use of the heat.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You firstly need to know what size boiler is in the range, what model Stanley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DanAsk

Apologies, I'm mixing up the back boiler and the range, the range is an old Morgan thermo-boiler range, cant see an obvious model number on it other than No. 9 on the front. Im not expecting to have the rads hot or to heat the water, its more that I want to use the heat from the range that is lit most of the time to keep some heat in the rads overnight rather than the range just heating the kitchen as it does at the moment.

Advertisement